SVT Forums

pulley noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM
ican

Default pulley noise

I just had a new engine installed in my 98 Cobra (AER Engines). (Had a ticking noise in top rear of engine when I would rev...turned out to be spun bearing). Warranty company "Mercury" said they wouldn't pay because I had no cats and modified exhaust...but they finally said "ok" but they say I will need to go back to stock exhaust if ever want any repairs paid for in the future. Any way......I have replaced both Idle pulley and pulley on tensioner trying to get rid of a noise....sounds like metal on metal sqeel....I thought was bad bearing on one of the pulleys. But noise is still there....NO NOISE on start up.....takes about 2 minutes to start making noise and is worse on rev....at idle it is almost completly gone.....I am thinking ...maybe I should replace complete tensioner arm...could it be the AC pulley?

Anyone have any info on AER Engines? they any good?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
tkb01029

Default RE: pulley noise

Same or similar problem with my 03 GT / Saleen Gen IV S/C... a squeak / chirp which was sometimes louder than my MagnaPack cut back system !!! Was the worst at around 2000 RPMs and light throttle. Seemed to change slightly under a load - with A/C on or going up hill.

I lubed the pulleys with a dab of lithium grease with no effect. Sprayed a little Windex on the belt while the engine was running and that seemed to help until the Windex evaporated. So I assumed belt slip and tighten it up some but the noise would not go away. I bought a spare serpentine belt when I got the S/C so I planned to put that on today.

But one thing stuck from the Windex experiment - the noise seemed to occur as the label with the Saleen logo and the size information rode over the idler pulley on the divers side of the S/C nose. I looked at the new belt I was going to put on and saw that there is a significant difference in the texture where the label is - very smooth and shiny.

So, with the old belt still on the engine, I took a piece of 60 grit paper and very light scuffed the back of the belt while the engine was running.

Bada bing - problem solved !!