SVT Forums

03 cobra fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

Ok, what is the head cooling mod, is it easy? And the expansion tank, is that just a reservoir for the SC coolant? About how much money is spent on that last list?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

well a few bucks.. the head cooling mod connects to the freeze plug on the motor which allows the coolant in the #7 and 8 head to be released. Or else it just kinda sits there and boils. The head cooling mod isn't difficult; more a pain in the butt. There are two of them.. one that goes underneath the car which causes you to drop the tranny, and one on top of the motor that causes most people to remove the blower. Some people are able to do it without removing the blower, but most people just remove it to make it easier.

The head cooling mod runs around $100-$130 or so.. the expansion tank is for the coolant on the vehicle.

From lethal performance:

expansion: $166.99
head cooling: $120.00
Dual pass Heat exchanger: $299.99
Tstat: $24.99
Radiator: $399.00

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...a-cooling.html

But, don't forgo the cooling modifications.. main reason why Cobras pop... make sure you pay good attention and do those mods, and make sure you pay attention to how youre driving the car...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
DickH
1st Gear Member

Ok, what order should priority go on that list? I can understand the importance, but probably wont be able to do it all at once.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

There's really no cooling mod that's more important then the other.. Maybe the head cooling mod, but they're all pretty important.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:28 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

They are important but not required right? If im not always on it all the way all of the time I can get by without some for a while right? Do they have to all be done along with upping the boost and whatnot, or could it be done over a short while?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

yeah.. a lot of people don't have them --- but the heat is what pops these motors...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:20 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

What else should be done to help out? How well does the stock clutch cope with all of this done? When does the transmission start to have problems with the power?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

some people have clutch issues faster then others... I would ride out your clutch until it goes then replace it was a 26 spline clutch of your choice -- a lot of people use spec 3 or spec 3+ and DFX Centerforce clutches on these cars..

If you're just planning on doing the ported blower and what not.. all you need is the cooling mods, pulley, intake, exhaust and what not...

You also want to reinforce your suspension -- the IRS is not very strong, especially under those loads... At the very least an IRS Brace with all the bushings will help you immensley.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:31 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have been considering plenty for my suspension, but I won't have the IRS nonesense. I know a guy who has a busted up termie who offered to sell a good chunk of it to me for a very reasonable price. I have half of what he is asking for and told him if he still wants to sell it by early spring ill buy it. I am trying to figure out how much ill be spending so I know how much I can spend over winter. So far it has become the cheapest option for going that fast, and is within what I will be able to afford.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 AM
cohhbra
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DickH
They are important but not required right? If im not always on it all the way all of the time I can get by without some for a while right? Do they have to all be done along with upping the boost and whatnot, or could it be done over a short while?
that kinda attitude will get you a blown engine...you know that once you've got 500+rwhp your gonna want to be on it all the time...better safe than sorry is all i'm saying, if you wanna do all this do you cooling mods first and then get a port job and pulley for your supercharger.

Quick Reply: 03 cobra fuel system