SVT Forums

Mounting cobra spoiler on my GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Mounting cobra spoiler on my GT

I have recently acquired a blue 04 Cobra spoiler in like-new condition for pretty cheap (****ing finally!!!). I have to get it repainted which is no sweat but I am worried about how I am gonna put it on. I have posted this in several other forums and subforums on here but didn't get much help.

I see that the spoiler has 5 threaded studs sticking out on the flat top part and then 2 threaded holes on the back part. I was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly how this is mounted on your Cobras? I heard that my back 2 GT spoiler holes are used by the Cobra spoiler.

And does anyone know about working the brakelight? This spoiler is complete and has the harness or whatever coming out of it with a plug in the end.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Someone help him out, I'm interested in putting the 03/04 spoiler on mine. Umm, I think you may need the whole trunk of the 03/04 Cobra, but don't quote me on that. I honestly wanna know too, someone help us out here
Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

great.. now im wondering how its held on also! here's my theory!

7 bolts seems pretty excessive, can you remove the threaded studs? if so i'd just use 3M tape and the bolt holes that are already drilled. alot of panels and trim pieces are held on with 3M tape, its not ghetto.

for the light, remove your lid light, the harness should just plug into the new light, fed thru the old lid light hole. (cobras have the same light hole underneath)

i'll wait for someone else to chime in on this also, if nobody has any answers, i'll tear apart my truck and take a crap load of pics for you after work
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
ATFPat
2nd Gear Member

been there, I actully had a GT and placed a Cobra spoiler on the GT decklid. Is that what your asking? If so, I actully drilled the holes and mounted the cobra spoiler on the gt decklid however I still needed to "Fill" two holes that were not covered by the spoiler. The two studs that were for the back half of the spoiler were missing on mine so I match it as close as posable and used double side tape to hold it down real well. Actully came out near perfect. So basically my spoiler was mounted by the top studs and double sided tape on the rear. I believe you can take those studs out by unscrewing them...... I can say mine came out really good and never had any problems. The tape also helped keep the spoiler from vibrating agaisnt the decklid.

As for the third brake light, it does plug right into the existing connector.

Last edited by ATFPat; 03-26-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM
ATFPat
2nd Gear Member

Heres a picture on a OEM one, theres five studs for the top, two studs for the rear with two "Push" in screws/studs.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting cobra spoiler on my GT-dsc02024.jpg  
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Lol it's funny you posted that pic. Did you get it from craigslist in vegas? thats the exact one from which I bought from the guy LOL

Anyway I did some research and I found this thread on stangnet:
http://forums.stangnet.com/566133-03...-write-up.html

It's got a lot of pics and a small write-up which confirms the holes and etc. It seems that the back part of his spoiler didn't have studs too and I think they are actually that way since it would be kinda hard to mount the top studs without the bottom ones getting in the way.

You say the wire coming out of the cobra spoiler plugs straight into the GT electricals...but according to that site and what I've been reading so far it doesn't
Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
ATFPat
2nd Gear Member

hmmmm, i m pretty sure it did. I remember cutting the connector from my GT wire harness and getting mad that I didnt need to haha. Now I m wondering cause I was positive that it matches right up. Im going to meet up with my uncle who has a GT to see, otherwise let me know. I bought my third brake light off a site online but i m sure it came with the connector for the cobra being that it was a OEM light. huh let me know if you install the spoiler. Just try it before you cut. Sucks that you couldn't find a spoiler that came with the decklid, but than again it gets expensive.

As for the picture, I actully went on google and typed cobra spoiler haha. I though it was funny finding the picture and reading that you picked up a blue one, I figured it would work good.

Good luck with the install and take pictures!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I just posted in another forum and they say I need the entire cobra harness....it would probably be easier that way. I called the ford dealership and it costs $58.

So I just need to wire that up, drill the holes, mount and connect. But the GT trunklight will not work with this harness but i'm sure I can find some random bulb which will connect to the new harness.