SVT Forums

What should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

I don't know bro. I'm not saying the LS1 isn't a great motor...cuz it is. I'm just saying that a modular has far more options for making power than the LS1...maybe not in hard parts (H/C/I) but definetly with power adders. Besides 4.6 and LS1 are apples and oranges, the closest motor to the LS1 would be the 5.4 Shelby motor. Take away the blower it still makes more power than the LS1 with 16 less cubes. That's a claim that GM just can't make. Ford has been winning the HP wars as of late due to forced induction, but I don't think people give the efficiency of the modular engines enough credit. Take the Forced induction away and Fords are still eclipsing (by far) the 1 HP per cube inch efficiency standard. GM has always been right around there at 1 maybe 1.2 HP per cube, where as the modulars have been closer to 1.5-6 HP per cube. Efficiency rules my friend...and the LS1's are vintage compared to Ford's modular. But I crashed this thread enough, so I'll let you have the last word.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by Smokin04
I don't know bro. I'm not saying the LS1 isn't a great motor...cuz it is. I'm just saying that a modular has far more options for making power than the LS1...maybe not in hard parts (H/C/I) but definetly with power adders. Besides 4.6 and LS1 are apples and oranges, the closest motor to the LS1 would be the 5.4 Shelby motor. Take away the blower it still makes more power than the LS1 with 16 less cubes. That's a claim that GM just can't make. Ford has been winning the HP wars as of late due to forced induction, but I don't think people give the efficiency of the modular engines enough credit. Take the Forced induction away and Fords are still eclipsing (by far) the 1 HP per cube inch efficiency standard. GM has always been right around there at 1 maybe 1.2 HP per cube, where as the modulars have been closer to 1.5-6 HP per cube. Efficiency rules my friend...and the LS1's are vintage compared to Ford's modular. But I crashed this thread enough, so I'll let you have the last word.
HP/Cubic Inch is a HONDA argument at best.

A nicely done forged 400+ Cubic Inch LS Motor with a Thumper will destroy any modular stuff from Ford. The main problem with the Ford Mod Engines is that the blocks do not support enough space to make more Cubic Inches. Yes, I do believe that the modular head setup is more efficient, but it needs to be put on a foundation where 400 plus cubes are possible. Because Cubic Inches make power, no doubt about that.
As far as aftermarket FI components for LS power vehicles, there is no shortage of it. And the extra Cubes allows for a lot more PUMP GAS hp as well as a lot less lag from larger turbos. Pretty Simple. Ford needs to make a bigger mod motor...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Has this really just turned into a LS1 tech thread......Come on now. Get back on topic, OP asked for opinions on cobras in his orig post not an ls1.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Richter888

Thumbs down information please!

I dont want this to turn into some kind of brawl about which is better. Point is that i have my heart set for a cobra from which to start, rather than a camaro. I have a soft spot for mustangs, though everyone has one, i still love em. I would rather have opinions from a cobra owner. I asked what to look for before buying a cobra and yet you smother me with "buy an LS1 car," which doesn't help me. I'm looking for balance in power and economy. Besides i cant get any of these owners to contact me ,so i'm currently caling on a 2002 stang with 77,000 miles, auto, gt. Thanks anyways.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
mfj
Banned

GT 2V's Suck...

Just get the Terminator. Or at least a Mach 1 <--- So much of a nicer mustang than the GT
Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Has this really just turned into a LS1 tech thread......
Apparently, it has...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...l#post12141279
Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richter888
I dont want this to turn into some kind of brawl about which is better. Point is that i have my heart set for a cobra from which to start, rather than a camaro. I have a soft spot for mustangs, though everyone has one, i still love em. I would rather have opinions from a cobra owner. I asked what to look for before buying a cobra and yet you smother me with "buy an LS1 car," which doesn't help me. I'm looking for balance in power and economy. Besides i cant get any of these owners to contact me ,so i'm currently caling on a 2002 stang with 77,000 miles, auto, gt. Thanks anyways.
OP if you have your heart set on a mustang get it. Any car can be fast as long as you have the money. If you can afford a terminator 03/04 cobra I would go with that. If you don't have the money for that the next best thing would be a 03/04 mach1, if no then go for a 01 cobra. I would not waste your time or money on a gt. Also if you buy a 99 cobra make sure it has the fix done.

To everyone else: Their is no doubt that ls1's can be fast and their is no doubt modular motors can be fast. You just need to have the money and invest it in the right parts. We should be happy thou that OP is staying with american cars and not asking for advice on what honda to buy.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, save for a 4V. 2V's need too much money to make 600-700 HP. 4V's can get it done stock with the right power adder.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
FormulaZR

Originally Posted by mfj
You, sir, kick ***...if you aren't already over here, I think you'd fit right in with the other 'Stang guys who surround themselves with greatness: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/register.php
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

I would pick the mach 1 over the cobra JMO

I just read the other forum lol, they like you mfj

Last edited by grif62; 08-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.