SVT Forums

Thermostat/Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Be easy on him ^^^^ ...Pic of the burp plug!

Last edited by Timspony; 11-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

thanks a lot for the advice and help really appreciate it. And thanks for the looks **** comment, i mean aint spic and span and polished but give it a good wipe down and itll look fine in my opinion. Not show car material but i dont have the money to be get all those nice polished pieces and powdercoat everything. Ill wipe everything down and its good enough for me, long as it runs and looks presentable im cool, more concerned with exterior as people keep knicking and scratching it everywhere, especially right after i get something fixed up nice something else appears. Have had no mechanical problems really in 2 years and now i have a potential buyer whos just waiting for a loan approval and now this. I defently have the worst luck, if you only knew. ha, but again yea thank you for all your help and i am going to check out the valve and replace the stat 2morrow and hopefully get it fixed. Thanks again
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Good luck ^^^ ...let us know how you make out!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I was just giving you crap I was meaning all the dirt on the engine you don't have to buy aftermarket parts to make your engine bay look like you love your car a little elbow grease goes a long way. All in good fun my friend
Originally Posted by 2OO3COBRA
thanks a lot for the advice and help really appreciate it. And thanks for the looks **** comment, i mean aint spic and span and polished but give it a good wipe down and itll look fine in my opinion. Not show car material but i dont have the money to be get all those nice polished pieces and powdercoat everything. Ill wipe everything down and its good enough for me, long as it runs and looks presentable im cool, more concerned with exterior as people keep knicking and scratching it everywhere, especially right after i get something fixed up nice something else appears. Have had no mechanical problems really in 2 years and now i have a potential buyer whos just waiting for a loan approval and now this. I defently have the worst luck, if you only knew. ha, but again yea thank you for all your help and i am going to check out the valve and replace the stat 2morrow and hopefully get it fixed. Thanks again
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

yea i know its cool man...um this morning i went and bought a stat, 18 bucks wasnt expecting that, man they use to like 5 for my fox. anyway before i did anything i opened up the tops on the overflow and radiator and when i did that i hear some air **** out and then the fluid dropped in the radiator from being topped off to just at the bottom of where you can see in. Not sure what that means or why that happened. Now as for the burp plug i unscrew that, now do i have to do anything like tighten it back up quick to release the air then shut it back up quick or just thread it all the way out then put it back in? As for the T stat housing im guessing its right under the snout where that top hose from the over flow tank runs into and the metal pipe as well that runs down underneath the motor? im guessing thats the housing in there, looks like kinda a pain to get into but just wanted to make sure thats the right spot and exactly what to do with the burp valve if i just crack it quick let some air rush out then seal it back up quick or if its ok to just open it and then shut it leisurely. thanks guys i really appreciate the help and i aplogize for being such a retard
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

holy cow that's a lot of surface rust on that engine.

You should reverse flush your system, change the thermostat and burp it.

As stated, the tstat is where the upper radiator hose goes connects to the manifold. When you put it in there IS a correct way to put it in. Pay attention when you pull the old one out and put the new one in the same way.

The air you heard was pressure in the system (normal). At least you know your radiator cap is good

Last edited by Derf00; 11-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

i found it, its on the bottom. So i was unthreading the 2 bolts and i noticed one was a bitch to get out, once it came out the threads are corroded badly so it stripped the threads in the housing and now i have to either get a tap cause i dont have the ones for aluminum or figure something else out. I swear i have the worst luck on the planet. 2 TINY simple bolts and somehow i have a problem happen just doing that. there was proly a gallon or so of coolant that came out when i drained it so i donno hopefully this does the trick once i get the other bolt in there somehow. real quick tho, after i get it in and fill it up with fluid ill prolly do a gallon of coolant and a gallon or so of water, maybe 1 1/2 coolant figure 2 1/2 total should fill it right? well after i do that do i just crack the burp valve then shut it right back up or can i open it all the way out and leave it open for a min or 2? just wanna make sure i do this right so i know if the thermo does the trick, also my bro said to leave the cap off the radiator for a few when i get it all set and start it...?thanks for the help guys and hopefully i wont need anymore. Preciate it

Last edited by 2OO3COBRA; 11-04-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Some times aluminum sucks. If you can't re-tap it here is a new one
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-8592D
Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

awesome, man i was really kinda worrying about that, i mean i know i could prolly drill and retap it but was worried if that didnt work what kinda project it would be or whatd cost to get a new one. Thanks for that though defently will be useful if tapping dont work, thanks for all your help man. as for the burp valve thing, once i have everything together and coolant filled, how do i go about using the valve? do i crack it open and listen for air then seal it quick back up, or open it all the way and not really matter when i see it back up? just wanna make sure i do everything right so i know if the stat was the prob. my bro said to get everything ready, start the car with the cap off the radiator at first, does that sound right? so yea just need some info on how to go aobut using the vlave correctly to eliminate air and what not and hopefully ill be set. Thanks again for all your help
Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

i donno, i put a new thermostat in, tried cracking and completely unthreading the burp valve, flushed the oil. car is still over heating. if i start the car and let it idle itll come up to running temp and stay there but once i start driving the car after about a 1/2 mile or so itll start to slowly spike and the car starts cut out ( im guessing thats a safety measure for when its over heating). I dont know what else it could be, the car starts smoking a lil bit from the backside bumper side of the radiator as it starts to warm up, i took the tank plastic piece off and tryed looking down there but saw nothing and then when the fan comes on the smoke stops. I really need some other ideas of what could be wrong here. Could it maybe be the water pump? dont even know where the pump is on this car, looks nothing like the 5.0s under there where the waterpump was right in back of the fan, maybe the thermo isnt opening? i really need to get this resolved, im trying to sell the car which i desperately need to do because my parents keep hounding me to finish paying off this loan which is in there name. Im not really working so its hard to come up with money. i was hoping to just sellthe car and pay it all off and now all the sudden this started happening. So please someone help me here with some ideas cause i am lost at this point.

Quick Reply: Thermostat/Over Heating