SVT Forums

Thermostat/Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

Default Thermostat/Over Heating

I drove my car almost 200 miles the other day with no problem. Next day I drove a couple miles and the temp gauge all the sudden started spiking. Pulled over, check the fluid levels in both tanks and they were filled to the top. Started it back up a few mins later, was fine for a few mins then started spking again. Now it seems like it was spiking way to fast to actually be overheating and it wasnt really smoking or anything, was a little wet near the radiator but couldnt tell if it was cause of the rain or a leak. All the hoses were connected and everything seemed fine. So i figured maybe the thermostat is shot, a cheap fix something to at least try to eliminate the problem. I havent really done any work on this car, worked on all other mustangs but never reallly this one. Was wondering what kinda job and where exactly the thermostat is located and what kinda ordeal it is to change it out. Thanks for any info
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

well i guess thats not true because i just took it out, it took sometime to warm up, seemed to jump right to the middle where it should be when i started to just back up, drove it around a lil and then after a few mins gradually it started creeping up to H.. i came home popped the hood and there was a little bit of smoke coming up from the radiator but not much. Dont undertstand though both fluid tanks are full. Im literally suppose to sell the car in a fw days and now this bull****s happening. 2 freakin years with no problems and now this right nefore i sell it, its just my luck so please some input on something. I cant see any hoses disconnected or leaking, cant even tell where the thermostat would be in this car, not like my 5.0 where just trace the hoses and ther it was. Dont even know if thats the problem, or if maybe the waterpumps shot. Please someone give me something to go on. Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have air in the system. Have you tried opening up the burp plug?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

whats the burp plug? wheres it located? talking about on the radiator? il try anything at this point and its urgent i fix it immediately, and preferably but with my luck it wont be something cheap and easy
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

did you just replace the termostat?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

The "burp" plug is on the crossover tube...This IS the high point in the system & the filling spot on the Cobra's!!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

no i never replaced the thermo yet, didnt think id really have to at this point. Im not gonna pretend like i know what im talking about, ive done a ton of work on other stangs but the termy ill admitt i really know nothing about and havent done really any work on them besides an oil change. Ill swallow my pride right now and sound like a retard cause i dont care right now i just want to fix this thing so i can sell it as planned.. the cross over tube is a term im not familiar with. The filling spot are you referring to where you add fluid, i know theres the overflowtank the clear one about a foot parallel to the other coolant adding top. so im not sure what your still talking about, i know i sound like a reatrd and im sorry but i dont care i dont know these cars at all at this point, i just need to fix it right now so im gonna ask a million questions if i dnt understand, which i dont. so the burp valve is located on top? where the 2 caps are for adding coolant, the overflow and the radiator itself? As i said all the hoses are connected so please can you describe to me exactly where the valve is? i have a picture of the engine bay unfortunately i dont know how to post it, im gonna try then maybe thatll help so you can tell me exactly where it is. thanks for your help and sorry im retarded right now but this is super important to get fixed and i cant believe this is happening 2 days before its suppose to leave after 2 years with no problems and both tanks are topped off with coolant
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/306/dscf0081l.jpg
Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

tried posting a picture but the thrad i read said you click the yellow mountain button and paste the link. i see no such button when making a thread so i just pasted the link and that brings you right to a picture of my bay. can someone please try and describe to me where in the picture the burp valve is and also where the thermostat is located. Gonna buy a stat 2morrow and try replacing that because i talked to a buddy of mine and he said theres really no reason air should be in there so he doesnt think that would be the problem. So I was hoping someone could describe the area where the thermostat is located in the picture so i have an idea of where to start. Thanks for all your help and i apologize for my lack of knowledge on the particular car.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I was going to put the picture in this post for you but it is F'n huge.
Look at that pic on the right where the S/C snout is a round plug it has a square hole in it. Stick a 1/4 in drive with no socket in there and unscrew it.
and for the Tstat follow the the rad hoses down and you will see a housing that you have to unscrew and split apart the Tstat is in there
And show your car some Love. that engine bay looks like S H I T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BraMas; 11-03-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Thermostat/Over Heating