SVT Forums

Cheapest/easiest way to 400 hp on an '01 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 AM
RedHousePainter
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like charging the aluminum block is not so much an issue of 'if', but 'when' it will fail. I would need to forge some stuff, or engine swap, before I throw on a supercharger.

Honestly if I'm dropping alot of money on F/I, I'm gonna do it big, and not waste money on nominal s/c hp gains so I can hopefully not kill an inadequate engine.

Ford Racing has a cam kit to fit right in the heads for $1000. That seems like a good price for what you get--new springs and valves. Cams too, of course.

Maybe with a polish could 400 bhp be within that realm?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well yea, if you want 400 hp, a forged setup would be the best thing. If you can get a Ford Racing setup for a decent price (crate motor) then get it and don't worry about dumping loads of money into your current 4.6L. Just pull it and sell it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 AM
RedHousePainter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Well yea, if you want 400 hp, a forged setup would be the best thing. If you can get a Ford Racing setup for a decent price (crate motor) then get it and don't worry about dumping loads of money into your current 4.6L. Just pull it and sell it.
It's gonna be awhile before I invest like that, however.

Cams is the most serious engine work I would do that is a near-future possibilty.

I can always use the cams later, too. Crate engine uses stock spec cams.

I personally like the 4.6 size engine. I feel putting anything else in the car steals its image. Especially an LS1 swap. BLAH!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

400 rwhp isn't anywhere near as hard with a 4v as it is with a 2v.

It's expensive, though. Build an entire motor while it's out of the car, piece by piece.

-Find a teksid block
-Forged rotating assemble with higher compression pistons (unless you do plan on F/I in the future, than go with 9.0:1 or lower, depending on how much boost and your cooling system for it)
-Ported C heads will be fine. No point in spending tons of money on FR500 or Cobra R heads
-Cams, but they have to be properly degreed, along with springs, retainers and valves. And get adjustable cam gears to make degreeing easier.
-Then head over to SVTPerformance and talk to Nazman. He makes a ported short runner intake out of the stock intake that's awesome. He can do any runner length you want.

Actually, just talk to Nazman. He owns Nazty Performance and makes an H/C/I package custom tailored to what you want. There's plenty of 99/01 guys at SVTP making 380-400 rwhp on stock shortblocks with his packages. He's had a couple of setups N/A himself, and I believe his last one was 550ish rwhp. But it was completely over the top. I beleive it was a big bore 5.0L shortblock, 13.5:1 compression, and it revved to 8k. But you're talking $10-15k for a motor like that.

However a supercharger would be cheaper and easier without having to tear the motor apart to reach your goals.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
RedHousePainter
2nd Gear Member

Just from looking at real numbers and what not I definately mean 400 bhp. At the crank--at the wheels would take alot of work. I do not want to swap blocks, or heads, or add superchargers to weak blocks. And honestly, if I ever saw anyone with an LS1 in a Cobra I would slap the crap out of them. Traitor much?

I want to keep it stock-looking. So I want to go cams.

How much hp increase am I looking at with full bolt-ons and cams/tune?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedHousePainter
And honestly, if I ever saw anyone with an LS1 in a Cobra I would slap the crap out of them. Traitor much?
There was a guy on Pinks all out that had a GM engine in a Mustang. Might have been vice versa, but he caught a lot of crap, haha
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Rebelmotor

Heres my take on all this after reading this all day. The 4.6 4v is a great motor for forced induction that is your money maker for having a fun car to play with on the street or the track. Taking the n/a route isnt a very practical route. Just like everyone else has said you will have to spend more money in the long run getting your 400BHP you want out of the deal. As far as cams go dont even bother. Cams on these motors isnt like cams on an LT1 or an Ls1 where those motors love cams. Your not gonna get the gain you really expect for the money you pay for cams on a 4.6. Therse a guy where I am whos runnin a 10.8 on his 99 cobra on stock cams with his procharger. I understand where you coming from with wanting to keep the car naturally aspirated believe me I have been there and after i blew my first motor with my 01 I knew right then that my bottom end wasnt gonna do it for me. I now have spent 6K in forging out my whole bottom end with an Eagle set up everything from H-beam rods and crank all the way up to boreing it (only because i had too) and putting in JE Flat top forged pistons. Yea it was a very nice beefy upgrade for my car but while it was already pretty much destroyed and torn outta the car I might aswell beef it up. In your case forging isnt a must if by any means if you play to spray the car or put boost on the car and keep it around the 450RWHP range but anything over that your gonna have to drop that tranny and play with it aswell as that rear end. Let me get back on track with the subject though. In my opinion because I know where your coming from with wanting it to stay N/A its not worth it buddy. If you just want to hit the 400 mark with ease then just throw some gas on the motor with a 100shot and call it a day. You can still run whatever longtubes you want and exhaust set up so you will still have a very aggressive sound and be able to ride around and everyone still gonna know who Mr Redhousepainter is and when you wanna play with the car just turn your gas on and your good to go. This in my opinion would be your best option for someone like you who really isnt wanting to snag those super high numbers but is wanting a fun cool car to play with on the street. Plus 4.6 motors love the nitrous setups and you will be more than happy with the way it performs and the money it cost to reach the goal your tryin to achieve with it. Well sorry for the long post everyone its my first time on here but figured id help a fella out. Good luck buddy.