SVT Forums

Pondering....wanting in a cobra. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

i would like to go for just a straight shot...turbo time had one of the cheapest...or maybe it was pony down...it was like $2900 for everything i think. But i know ebay has em for like a grand less i think lol
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

DONT BUY EBAY , unless you want a pain in the a$$ low quality kit, that wont do jack except cause you problems DONT BUY IT. Look around, people are always seling turbo kits for a decent price! wana know why those kits are so cheap? cause the quality and the parts are COMPLETE CRAP
Come on man! you gotta pay a little to play!
Dont forget you will need supporting mods, such as fuelsystem upgrades, tune, posible some ignition work and so forth
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

haha yea true true! im not worried about ignition and fuel, that stuff can be taken care of with bigger injectors and a higher volume fuel pump right? ill have to keep my eyes open when the time comes. ive always loved mustangs, always. and when the day comes that i actually get to drive one...no word of a lie, its going to be the best day of my life.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
So just recently me and my friends started riding street bikes, which unfortunately forced me to sell my notch project, to pay off the debt i owed on the bike. Honestly, i can live with it because the car needed more work than i could handle and i didnt have the tools or much experience to finish it (my stepdad was helping me with it and no longer is) I promised myself that i will be into a mustang by next year or spring of 2011.

A buddy that i ride with, just recently bought a 97 cobra with a procharger. And totally changed my whole perspective on the SN95 body style. Ive always loved the Notch, and the 5.0 motor and would probably end up with some type of FI if i was to get one. But damn that snake he got is just so nice, and i was never a fan of centrifugal superchargers until i saw this one.

Basically, id like to hear what you guys think...would it be better to look for an SN95 cobra or go a cheaper route for a Fox and put more into the motor? Chances are if i look for a Cobra im going to want to probably find one thats supercharged.

Sorry for the long reading. Persuade me...
If you want to run with those bikes, then youd be wise to plan on more motor. It just depends on your goals, your skills, your time frame and whether you want to/can pay for parts out of pocket or you need something you can make payments on. The best bang for your buck is to build.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
Well one thing to consider is the insurance. Not only is the fox an older car, but it is not a "Cobra" Which just the name in itself jacks up insurance.
Now the newer cars will def. ride a lot better from factory then the fox platform, but the fox has a LOT more aftermarket suport, even though the Sn-95 is catching up.
Another rought you could consider is finding a notch, and then converting it to havea cobra engine in it
That is what im doing right now! i LOVE the engine, and how effeicient it is out of the cobra, but i love the lookof my fox along with the lower insurance

Just some food for thought
You know, people always say this. But every time I've gone and priced a cobra over my GT, the difference has always be negligible.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
You know, people always say this. But every time I've gone and priced a cobra over my GT, the difference has always be negligible.
my quotes were exactly the same for a '99-'01 GT and my cobra....so i went with my cobra.

op- the only con for a cobra is that the cams cost twice as much (lol or 4 times as much as a 5.0)

Last edited by _Slowbra_; 12-13-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

well my cobra cost me $400 more then the gt of the same year..... SO i wouldnt say its negligable......
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Fobra
Banned

Your talking about a twin turbo cobra and worried about 400 bucks of insurance.... w/ age and a continuing clean record it will go down.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Turbos give free hp because they are exhaust powered, superchargers use belts ; )
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Im not looking to RUN WITH the bikes, im currently riding bikes...im talking about after i sell the bike for a mustang. It seems like a budget turbo build would be the easiest way to get a huge gain. Like i said before i think Turbo Time or Pony down had a kit for $2900, i tried doing some research on superchargers and with the little research i did, it seemed to be more money. Anyone clarify? I also thought about a H/C/I combo, but i know the output with FI will be much greater. ohh, and i would aim for an 87-92 for the forged. forgot to mention before.

Quick Reply: Pondering....wanting in a cobra. Thoughts?