SVT Forums

Hello All! New To the Family(synthetic or no)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
xxlcobra

Default Hello All! New To the Family(synthetic or no)

Hello fellas:
I just purchased a new to me Mustang Cobra(1997) with 2900 miles on it. I have been looking for a replacement since I sold my 1988 LX 5.0 nearly 10 years ago. The car is red(ext), black interior, black top. I have a 2005 F150 and there have been many debates as to should we use full synthetic or stay with the motorcraft 5W-20.
What are you guys going with in your cobras? Do you prefer Motorcraft, Mobile, Royal Purple or another brand, and did you stick with a stock filter?
On my 05 F150, it may have been a coincidence that my cam phaser problem happened when I changed oil, but many F150s had a similar problem so Im not sure.

Have a great day all, and a productive new year.
________
Vaporizer info

Last edited by xxlcobra; 09-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
xxlcobra

After looking on some of the prior posts, many seem to like Royal Purple and Mobile. This car has me feeling like a kid again. Its been a long time since I parted with my last one and regretted it ever since. I will post pics of it soon.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by xxlcobra; 09-06-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

RP is all I run in my car!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Put the Royal Purple in...and Congrats!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I run synthetic in everything --except my snow blower and lawn mower.

Royal purple is good, but expensive. Same with AMSoil. I'm not a fan of Mobil1, I think it's all hype. Castrol Syntec is WAAAY better than Mobil 1, and usually cheaper. And it's almost as good as RP or AMSoil, but usually ~$3/quart cheaper.

Also, Redline makes very good oil as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM
brigrat

Originally Posted by P Zero
I run synthetic in everything --except my snow blower and lawn mower.

Royal purple is good, but expensive. Same with AMSoil. I'm not a fan of Mobil1, I think it's all hype. Castrol Syntec is WAAAY better than Mobil 1, and usually cheaper. And it's almost as good as RP or AMSoil, but usually ~$3/quart cheaper.

Also, Redline makes very good oil as well.
Just out of curiosity, what do you base your opinions on? I haven't heard much castrol syntec hype in quite a while, what do you like about it?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brigrat
Just out of curiosity, what do you base your opinions on? I haven't heard much castrol syntec hype in quite a while, what do you like about it?
I did my own personal "testing" you could call it years ago with my approx. 400HP '85 Mustang GT. At the time, I worked for Napa, so every oil change, I tried out a different oil. I tried Mobil 1, Syntec, Valvoline full syn, Pennzoil full syn, Quakerstate syn, Redline, Amsoil, and Royal purple.

What I would base how good an oil was, was on a few things. The first was temps. I found that with the high quality oils(RP, AMSOIL, Redline, Syntec), that my car ran noticeably cooler. Not only that, but it seemed that the car would rev faster too (less drag).

I found no discernible difference between Syntec, AMSoil, RP or Redline. They're all very good oils.

As far as Mobil1, well, my temps went up, the car revved slower and the oil became really dirty very quickly. Mind you, this engine was not all sludged up or anything, it was very clean inside. I noticed this on several cars that I put Mobil1 in.
Not to mention Mobil1 made my lifters clatter.

Quakerstate and Pennzoil, were not any better than conventional IMO. And with Valvoline, one of my valves got stuck in the head. That's the second engine that Valvoline synthetic has damaged. The second one was in my Probe GT. Within 100 miles --of normal driving-- one of the rod bearings spun, now the engine sounds like a lathe grinding with no oil.

But yeah, I based my findings on temps, oil condition after x miles (500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500), and perceived RPM attainment over a period of time.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
xxlcobra

Its odd how different cars suggest different oil. My Mercedes is always to use Mobil synthetic. I ran Mobil 1 in my F150 at 18000 miles and the motor did feel different than when using Motorcraft. THough money is always an issue on everything that we do, its not really an issue with my Mustang :-)
I am considering running royal purple in it when I change the oil. Have any of you guys ever used Lucas in your fuel? I have one of my older Mercedes cars that I experimented with the Lucas with. Im to paranoid to use products in my nicer cars, and will try it on an older car first. I really like the Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I usually shy away from any product that will possibly void my warranty and never experiment on a good car.
________
AVANDIA CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT

Last edited by xxlcobra; 09-06-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

There are enough cars, like your Mercedes, that call for Mobil-1 from the factory that I am comfortable using it. That's what I've used in my last 4 cars now. Of course, there may be plenty of other cars that use a different specific brand name from the factory, but I have been happy with Mobil-1. My last car was an 01 Cobra that had Mobil-1 in it for the 36,000 miles that I had it (72,000 total) and it ran great. Before that I had an LS1 that I took to 175,000 miles with Mobil-1 and the engine seemed to be in great shape when I sold it. Not a professional analysis I know, but I've never had reason to mistrust Mobil-1. And specifically, I've never noticed increased temp or clattering like the guy above did...
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Amsoil. Their additive package is top notch and if you register as a prefered customer they will sell it to you wholesale

Quick Reply: Hello All! New To the Family(synthetic or no)