SVT Forums

Looking to line out a build plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 PM
crysalis_01
Banned!

Question Looking to line out a build plan

Ok, I just picked up (a month ago) my '98 Cobra, with the mods listed in my sig already equipped. Now like most, if not all of us, I'm looking to eventually up the power.

I'm really only looking to hit the 400rwhp mark (maybe 450rwhp max) just to stay somewhat relevant with the modern performance offerings. Now I know that the stock rotating assembly will need beefing up that's not the question. Here's what I'm asking:

What's the "best" (and I am aware how objective that is) method to reach my goals? Budget's not too big of a deal, I'll end up having to save some cash up for this anyway. I just like to have a clear path to what I'm going to be doing.

1) FI option 1 Stick with the B-heads and add KB 2.1/meth set-up

2) Stay N/A, swap to '04 Aviator heads w/B-head cams (I have access) and bump compression

3) FI option 2 (most likely a 2.3L Whipple), swap on '04 Aviator heads w/B-head cams

4) Options I haven't considered/better versions of the ideas I've posted. Feel free to give any advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I say go with a procharger setup, or how about a sick turbo build "hellion" FTW!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Rather than telling what to do with your car, let me give you some advice as I've built many cars.

When it comes to any car build, you need to determine a few things: 1) Purpose [daily trs, weekend racer, race car, show car], 2) Power Goal [400hp, 450hp, 500hp, more?], 3) Budget [How much are you wanting, or can you, spend?]

For the ultimate street performance, I would recommend a supercharger. It's a tried and true combination. I've done some really nice high power naturally aspirated builds, but most of them seemed to loose some driveability.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
crysalis_01
Banned!

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I say go with a procharger setup, or how about a sick turbo build "hellion" FTW!
Believe me I've looked into these, especially seeing as they can be intercooled vs the KB option. But I've never been a fan of turbos or centri blowers. I think it's near instantaneous power and the sound of a roots/twin-screw type blower that's really what I'm after.

Originally Posted by socalwrench
Rather than telling what to do with your car, let me give you some advice as I've built many cars.

When it comes to any car build, you need to determine a few things: 1) Purpose Daily Driver with maybe 2 track visits a year, 2) Power Goal 400rwhp to 450rwhp, 3) Budget Let's say $5k

For the ultimate street performance, I would recommend a supercharger. It's a tried and true combination. I've done some really nice high power naturally aspirated builds, but most of them seemed to loose some driveability.

Last edited by crysalis_01; 03-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

from my personal opinion of bein round man diff set up (turbo whipple kb procharger spray and a vortech) the 2 funnest cars are my whipple and my buddies kb...the instant boost is awesome and its a real street kind of think IMO...with a turbo or centri to me is your trying to make the fastest track car you can so that you can build boost thus giving you traction where as twin screws youll be sittin still spining in the way upper range

in saying that i would get a whipple and build your engine i totally promise you that you will love your set up....KB is also a good one too but i like the deeper tone of whipple plus there made for fords and according to my tuner are alot easier to tune....
Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

If i'm not mistaken, with only 400hp you wouldn't really need to beef up the internals, the motor you have i believe is rated to 500. If your going to go supercharged, or look for serios power, in the sense of forging the internals, you should shoot around 470ish,where an intank pump, regular 2 core intercooler and Cheapish MAF would max. Imo anyway. Million different ways, but you'll probablywant more when you get there. most of us do. not to mention you can reach 450++++ with a supercharger without swapping intake/heads/meth, or really anything you put up there. the chargers do all the work, just open the flow, and make sure the motor can handle it.

Last edited by disposablehero27; 04-15-2011 at 06:24 PM.