SVT Forums

cold air kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default cold air kit

I got an 04 cobra recently with 11k miles on it. It is bone stock to the original air filter, and I want to keep it relatively stock its not often you see a low mileage bone stock terminator, plus this car is in immaculate condition. anyway one of the only mods I wanna do is to put a cold air intake on it, with my 5.0 i knew soo much about what to do with bolt ons but now this car is obviously a different animal! so my goal with the car is very basic bolt ons nothing major, and i was wondering what you guys would go with as far as a cold air intake kit is concerned...as i said this is going to be a fun car and a cruiser with a ton of ***** but mostly stock?????? thoughts???? as well i want to do the intercooler and radiator, what would be your thoughts on which brand to go with on them?

Last edited by ih8chevy; 08-01-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

well k&n makes a good kit there FIPKII with maybe a C&L tube to the throttle body...also i would do a pulley swap and get a tune to get the beast where it should be at...just bout everyone does a pulley an tune its like a need to do mod hahaha
Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I have the K&N FIPK Gen 2. Works great and it provided a big gain. Not as fancy as the jlt, but does the same thing and K&N has been around for ever. Fitment was perfect.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

I do love my JLT CAI kicks me into boost sooner and dont need to push gas pedal to floor to have boost kick in. I like how the filter and maf sensor is located on the outside of the engine and the quarter inch thick PVC pipe is inside the compartment which probably does very well at blocking the heat being that thick.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

JLT RAI or CAI should do the trick! ...and you can have the intake paint matched to Cobra's color!!!

Lets see the Cobra!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Thats what i have is a JLT from the previous owner which i just bought mine too and he indeed match the paint ot my DSG cobra it does add a pop to the engine bay
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ih8chevy
I got an 04 cobra recently with 11k miles on it. It is bone stock to the original air filter, and I want to keep it relatively stock its not often you see a low mileage bone stock terminator, plus this car is in immaculate condition. anyway one of the only mods I wanna do is to put a cold air intake on it, with my 5.0 i knew soo much about what to do with bolt ons but now this car is obviously a different animal! so my goal with the car is very basic bolt ons nothing major, and i was wondering what you guys would go with as far as a cold air intake kit is concerned...as i said this is going to be a fun car and a cruiser with a ton of ***** but mostly stock?????? thoughts???? as well i want to do the intercooler and radiator, what would be your thoughts on which brand to go with on them?
No need to do the radiator really unless your making serious power or live in hell. Its already pretty good. And i think you may mean heat exchanger instead of intercooler, the heat exchanger is in the front bumper, the intercooler is under the supercharger. Changing the H/E is a good mod, and not too hard to do, but as everyone has said, a pulley and a tune will bring you the only feelable results you will want probably.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:15 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

i think im one of the few that will say go with something else besides jlt, the parts look good but the tube is just glued up pvc pipe that is painted the same color as the exterior. i was not happy with the fit. i had a accufab single blade tb, if that made a difference, and the rubber elbows barely had enough material to secure the tube to the tb. it would let the tube slide out. so i ended up putting a strip of non skid black tape around the pipe so it wouldnt slide out. also the h/e cooling lines get in the way of the new filter location so you have to put a kink in them to zip tie them out of the way. the tube also rubs the ignition coil cover because of the tube diameter. finally the air filter adapter that bolts to the maf does not use a gasket to seal it so it has a small gap allowing air to bypass the filter. this is because the maf is not flat. i use a gasket that was for a bbk intake for a gt stang to seal it.

Last edited by pcs; 09-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.