Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Intermittent Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM
mreagen

Default Intermittent Misfire

Hey all, new to the Mustang community. Ive been an LS guy my whole life until recently when I purchased my 2016 GT PP. Absolutely love the car so far, wish I would have came to the dark side sooner hah. When I purchased the car from the original owner he said that I may experience a misfire code, which I am now dealing with. It has been to the dealership 3 times already and they are claiming that they cannot do anything about it at this point. So far, they have replaced the intake manifold, spark plugs, and coils. each on separate occasions. The only mods the car has are a set of BBK Long Tubes, Roush Intake, and Corsa Exhaust. There is currently no tune on the car, so would that be the primary reason for the misfire? Like I said, I used to be an LS guy, and bolt on mods to my Z06's and CTS-V would be no problem as the car would auto adjust very well. I have a 2018 Manifold, 47lb Ford Injectors, and BBK Off-Header Cat Delete Pipes sitting in the box that I got new from American Muscle. My plan for the car is FBO/Ethanol but I don't want to put everything on and get it dyno tuned before I know the rest of the car is healthy. My service Advisor told me that I needed to have it tuned for the check engine light to go away, but I don't want to void my warranty just yet if something else is broken. Not sure how sensitive these cars are to mods so I'm hoping to get some insight on the best way to approach the situation. I don't beat on my car, it gets driven quick on the weekends but during the week she is shifted at 2500rpm on my daily commute. Obviously don't want to be hurting anything driving it with the misfire code so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mreagen
Hey all, new to the Mustang community. Ive been an LS guy my whole life until recently when I purchased my 2016 GT PP. Absolutely love the car so far, wish I would have came to the dark side sooner hah. When I purchased the car from the original owner he said that I may experience a misfire code, which I am now dealing with. It has been to the dealership 3 times already and they are claiming that they cannot do anything about it at this point. So far, they have replaced the intake manifold, spark plugs, and coils. each on separate occasions. The only mods the car has are a set of BBK Long Tubes, Roush Intake, and Corsa Exhaust. There is currently no tune on the car, so would that be the primary reason for the misfire? Like I said, I used to be an LS guy, and bolt on mods to my Z06's and CTS-V would be no problem as the car would auto adjust very well. I have a 2018 Manifold, 47lb Ford Injectors, and BBK Off-Header Cat Delete Pipes sitting in the box that I got new from American Muscle. My plan for the car is FBO/Ethanol but I don't want to put everything on and get it dyno tuned before I know the rest of the car is healthy. My service Advisor told me that I needed to have it tuned for the check engine light to go away, but I don't want to void my warranty just yet if something else is broken. Not sure how sensitive these cars are to mods so I'm hoping to get some insight on the best way to approach the situation. I don't beat on my car, it gets driven quick on the weekends but during the week she is shifted at 2500rpm on my daily commute. Obviously don't want to be hurting anything driving it with the misfire code so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Long tubes absolutely require a tune. I'd suggest starting with a tune from Lund, American Muscle or Brenspeed first, then see where the misfire issue sits. Your argument about "voiding the warranty" makes absolutely no sense since you're going to be modding the car anyways.

Also, just because you mod, it does not void your warranty. The warranty is only affected in two ways, 1) the part that you replaced with the aftermarket part will no longer be covered by ford because, well, it's no longer a ford part. 2) only the warranty system affected by your replacement part is affected, not the entire car. If you put a tune in it and the A/C, Power steering, etc fails, the warranty is still intact. Now, if you blow your motor from a bad tune or one of the parts you installed was a direct cause of blowing your motor, yes, your motor warranty could be voided. But, if your motor blows because the valve train failed that most likely won't be affected by a tune. Just talk to your local ford service center, preferrably one that is an FRPP authorized dealer/installer. They are more savvy about knowing warranty laws and being more flexible about warranty work with modded cars.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 PM
mreagen

I will be getting it tuned by Bill at Arizona Elite Motorsports. I have an SCT plugin tuner but I am not a fan of plugins. I just don't want to get the car on the dyno and be told that something needs fixing before we can proceed.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 PM
mreagen

Nobody has any more insight on this?..