The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2009-10 subaru wrx sti(wagon) vs my 06 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
holding at 6k and then letting it go reminds me of a video I saw of a Vette owner fusing his flywheel and clutch together

If you both can drive perfectly hes a few tenths faster form a dig, on a roll its tough to say.

He has taller gears all the way around, weighs about the same, and makes 290lbs at 4000rpms, however you are RWD which helps a lot on drive line loss and in a roll situation, even though your max torque is coming in 500rpms later, youre making quite a bit more (30lbs) your max hp also comes in 250rpms earlier, assuming no driver error, you can max hp and then shift before him, depending on his pull, that could give you an advantage on power in a new gear and letting you start to pull

from there one of two things is going to happen, either your displacement will win or his turbo will keep spooling.

I've never driven or raced an STI but I know 06 GT's pull pretty nicely

sweet, i do feel that it pulls pretty well. its fast enough for me.

Any mods for either of you?
haha i think i know of the video you're talking about. i'm not sure on how great a driver he is, but he kept saying for my roll we should go from 10 mph, and i said no cuz i'm not in the powerband at all. if he gets me from a dig i wont be as upset, im kinda expecting it. but for my roll we're going from 40 and 50 in 2nd, and i feel thats where my car pulls best As for mods, he's completely stock. I have pypes muffler deletes and a K&N air filter, so i'm stock as well i guess you could say. Yeah i saw that his car makes 305 hp as well, don't know at what rpm though
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
If he's dumping the clutch, I'd run him from a dig! He's gotta be bogging if he's not keeping the RPM up while feathering the clutch. If those cars hook too hard and drop RPM too fast from poor clutch engagement, its over for them.
haha i'm hoping i can somewhat keep up with him from a dig and surprise him. I have a feeling he thinks he's gonna destroy me from a dig, but i found a sweet spot for launching. i hold it at 3k and slip the clutch and minimize wheelspin by alot, and it seems to jump off the line a whole lot better than just dropping the clutch. Hopefully he dumps the clutch like you said and i get him from there. i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

You are going to get raped.

There is a multi quote function on this forum so you don't have to stretch out a response into 5 posts.

In between the "quote" and "quick reply" buttons is the multi quote button. Click on it so the green thing turns red. Keep doing so with each post you want to reply to, then click on the "quick reply"....there you go.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Just remembered, don't the new STIs have a million different settings, including a pretty sick launch control? That maybe why that guy is talking about pinning the RPM and then dumping the clutch. I know a lot of the new performance oriented cars are using some sort of launch control these days, Camaro, 370Z, SS/TC, Evo, etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Is it a 330S?

2.5L, 325 hp of nasty eyesore....
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

know a lot of the new performance oriented cars are using some sort of launch control these days, Camaro, 370Z, SS/TC, Evo, etc.
You can even get it for a bunch of cars like the SS/SC and SRT-4, etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
You can even get it for a bunch of cars like the SS/SC and SRT-4, etc.
True. I had a low-tech 2 step launch control on my Mach. Just floor it with the clutch in and it held 4500 rpm. Thats all it did though, although it helped greatly. You can hear it here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Wi3qHk2R0

Its MUCH more sophisticated on the STI, EVO, etc, as you prolly already know. You hold those guys to the floor and simply dump the clutch and it engages accordingly. Kind of takes all the fun out of it if you ask me.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Just remembered, don't the new STIs have a million different settings, including a pretty sick launch control? That maybe why that guy is talking about pinning the RPM and then dumping the clutch. I know a lot of the new performance oriented cars are using some sort of launch control these days, Camaro, 370Z, SS/TC, Evo, etc.
I'm pretty sure the STI doesn't have a launch control. Just a trick differential and 3 "Driving Modes:" Intelligent, Sport and Sport#
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I asked a friend of mine who's a subie guy and he says that as far as he knows even the newest STI don't come with launch control.

It can be added by a cobb access port.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Yea, I tried to locate info about it and came up with nothing but the 3 drive modes already mentioned. Kind of surprised a car like that doesn't come with it considering all the other tech it has.

Quick Reply: 2009-10 subaru wrx sti(wagon) vs my 06 mustang gt