The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2011 Charger 5.7 Hemi AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Honestly, like................ dude you live in alaska. Keep you mustang and buy a cheap-*** beater 4wd truck or jeep to drive in the winter when the weather is really bad. I don't know why you would feel you need a 400hp muscle car to drive around in the winter when the conditions are bad enough you shouldn't even wanna be driving around a car like that in the first place, awd or not. This way you can drive ur beater when its bad and drive your 400hp+ car when its nice.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Buy an ecoboost f150 4wd
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I live in the near the city so it's not that bad, but I still need AWD. I understand where you are coming from about ground clearance, but with my GT even, it was not that bad even on heavy snow days.

I don't like smaller cars, and I don't like SUVs too much.

The Charger RT AWD "seems" like the best choice.. I don't need a ton of hp during the summer either.. just plenty of low end torque.
If that's the case, why not just get a set of winter tires for the Mustang? Don't want to mess with an extra set of wheels, or just want something for more of a driver and have the Mustang for fun?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Is ground clearance not an issue in snow like that? I'm from NC, so excuse my snow ignorance. We only get it a couple times a year here, it'll last a couple days, then melts off.
I'm lowered 2 inches but I can only drive with ~3 inches on the ground before I'm plowing snow and can't get around easily. This is IL though so we get maybe a foot at the extreme end and the plows are running nonstop so roads get cleaned up fast. If he has been getting around in a stang it's probably pretty similar.

Originally Posted by Stone629
Wouldn't a stall converter be bad news in ice/snow?
I had a 2200 street stall on my old car and it didn't seem to make it much worse...a bigger stall might be a pita though. What killed me was the shift kit and other BS I had... hitting 2nd gear required letting off the gas and knowing exactly when it was going to shift. I'd much rather had a manual for winter driving.

I drive ~60miles round trip commute for work all year round.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good info, Skater. Appreciate it man. Us southerners just don't get a whole lot of snow. When it does snow some, the news makes a huge deal out of it, we get 6 or 7 inches, then it melts within 2-3 days. In that time, schools close, everyone runs out to the store and buys ingredients for French bread for some reason (milk, eggs, and bread) and stays home until it clears out, lol.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Honestly, like................ dude you live in alaska. Keep you mustang and buy a cheap-*** beater 4wd truck or jeep to drive in the winter when the weather is really bad. I don't know why you would feel you need a 400hp muscle car to drive around in the winter when the conditions are bad enough you shouldn't even wanna be driving around a car like that in the first place, awd or not. This way you can drive ur beater when its bad and drive your 400hp+ car when its nice.
I could do that honestly.. the winters up here really aren't "that bad".. but I have driven in snow up to .. geez, I don't know.. I want to say 15-18 inches but I don't wanna sounds like an igiot for driving my GT in show that deep rofl I have some killer snow tires so it helps out tremendously.. I do know my limits though. If it becomes bad.. I'll leave it at home and take out my moms Edge AWD.

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If that's the case, why not just get a set of winter tires for the Mustang? Don't want to mess with an extra set of wheels, or just want something for more of a driver and have the Mustang for fun?
I have snow tires.. driven my GT since the first winter I got it back in 08

I will have to eventually park it because I am gonna build it up so much (if I keep it) that I won't want to risk such an investment driving it around in blizzards and such.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
I'm lowered 2 inches but I can only drive with ~3 inches on the ground before I'm plowing snow and can't get around easily. This is IL though so we get maybe a foot at the extreme end and the plows are running nonstop so roads get cleaned up fast. If he has been getting around in a stang it's probably pretty similar.

I had a 2200 street stall on my old car and it didn't seem to make it much worse...a bigger stall might be a pita though. What killed me was the shift kit and other BS I had... hitting 2nd gear required letting off the gas and knowing exactly when it was going to shift. I'd much rather had a manual for winter driving.

I drive ~60miles round trip commute for work all year round.
I believe you.. East coast has always had WORSE winters than we have since back to 2001 I believe.

It's not always snow that gets us up here, but -25 degrees and such that really mucks us up.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I could do that honestly.. the winters up here really aren't "that bad".. but I have driven in snow up to .. geez, I don't know.. I want to say 15-18 inches but I don't wanna sounds like an igiot for driving my GT in show that deep rofl I have some killer snow tires so it helps out tremendously.. I do know my limits though. If it becomes bad.. I'll leave it at home and take out my moms Edge AWD.

I have snow tires.. driven my GT since the first winter I got it back in 08

I will have to eventually park it because I am gonna build it up so much (if I keep it) that I won't want to risk such an investment driving it around in blizzards and such.

I just can't understand why you would even wanna drive a muscle car in weather like that snow tires or not, when a beater can be had for underk 1,000 dollars.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Because you still have to drive that beater, and pay for insurance on two cars.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I would much rather have a Challenger than a Charger.
JMO.

But if I was buying BECAUSE of living in Alaska?
Hrm.. I'd either keep what I had or get a kick **** truck.

Quick Reply: 2011 Charger 5.7 Hemi AWD?