The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2011 Charger 5.7 Hemi AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 2011 Charger 5.7 Hemi AWD?

I am about to trade up to one of these.. I live in Alaska and I need ONE vehicle that can last YEAR ROUND.

The GT, is NOT the right car for the occasion.

I am not familiar with the AWD Chargers, and need an honest opinion on them.

I went to some other sites, but without too many honest answers.

From what I gather, the CAI/tune is not as powerful nor reliable as ours (S197)

I have a shiet load of power in the GT.. that's not the issue.

I just want to make sure the 5.7 Hemi is not anemic to my power needs, basic bolt ons and all.

If so, I'd rather buy a beater and keep the GT.. though like I said.

I'd rather have ONE car year round....

I test drove one the other day, and it had a whole lot more torque than my GT ever had while stock (about 100 more whp/lbs. trq. but they also weigh about 800lbs. more)

I really like the style, but I also LOVE my Mustang... WTF??!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you need something you can drive in an Alaskan winter, why the hell would you get a Charger? Get something with ground clearance and cargo space. Be practical. And the last thing you want for driving on snowy/icy roads is a vehicle with a bunch of power. And if it's just a grocery getter year round, it doesn't need a bunch of power.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

^ +1... Blazers, Explorers, Cherokees, Grand Cherokees can all be had in good shape for >$5K. They will be more $ to maintain and drive than a car, but if you can avoid payments and the depreciation on a newer car, you probably come out ahead. Can you practically swing having two cars?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Used TBSS or SRT8 Jeep.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If you need something you can drive in an Alaskan winter, why the hell would you get a Charger? Get something with ground clearance and cargo space. Be practical. And the last thing you want for driving on snowy/icy roads is a vehicle with a bunch of power. And if it's just a grocery getter year round, it doesn't need a bunch of power.
The GT is pretty low and wasn't too bad for the past 3 winters, but RWD is a joke up here.. can't believe it made it this far rofl

I want an AWD car but don't want to compromise everything.. the AWD Charger w/5.7, auto trans sounds like the best bet.

Not really an SUV guy..
Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Have you considered the Taurus SHO (or EcoBoost Flex)? AWD, twin turbo...
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
Have you considered the Taurus SHO (or EcoBoost Flex)? AWD, twin turbo...
Those are pretty nice...

As for the 5.7, the newer ones do pretty good with tune / cai / exhaust. I haven't been in the LX world for a long time, but I'm pretty sure the newer ones are mid 13s stock. Not that you're looking for a fire breather, but it'd make a nice DD with AWD.

Why not an Evo or STi? AWD, turbo and fun. Plus, a lot better gas mileage.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Those are pretty nice...

As for the 5.7, the newer ones do pretty good with tune / cai / exhaust. I haven't been in the LX world for a long time, but I'm pretty sure the newer ones are mid 13s stock. Not that you're looking for a fire breather, but it'd make a nice DD with AWD.

Why not an Evo or STi? AWD, turbo and fun. Plus, a lot better gas mileage.
Not interested in smaller cars anymore. I really like the older STIs and EVOs, but the last few generations have looked more and more fugly to me for some reason. The new STI's looks seriously jacked up lol

The SHO is nice, but I like torque.. something brawny, a big honkin' V-8, automatic and a ton of weight behind it rofl

I would get a truck, but I still want something in the full size sedan range..

pretty much done with 1/4 mile racing for awhile, until I get a dedicated drag strip car I can put all my efforts in without worrying about having to have it drive daily... but I do want to at least squeek out a 12.8@105mph out of the 5.7.

I am thinking, a high stall torque converter, CAI/Tune, shorty headers (due to emissions) and a high flow 6.1 SRT intake manifold.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Well man it sounds like you have your mind made up already! I'm sure the Charger will be nice. I'm not sure if the SHO has made it into the 12s, the fastest Flex EcoBoost is 13.0 at the moment.

On a side note, I watched Fast Five recently and I for one noticed how much advertising Dodge got in that movie...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Its a great car, and its a part time awd system (so is the taurus), it generally only activates when it detects wheel slip, which is good for better fuel economy when you don't need it. So given the two I would take the one that is a RWD architecture than a FWD one.

You won't be disappointed.

Full Disclaimer: I work for Chrysler.

Quick Reply: 2011 Charger 5.7 Hemi AWD?