Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

SCT Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT Tuner Question

I picked up an '11 GT a few months back and it came with an SCT X3. Unfortunately, I bought the car from an independent dealer who took the car in on trade so I wasn't able to get any information on the tunes on the device. All I know is that the car has a Steeda CAI and with the 95mm MAF housing, and the tunes listed on the device screen are "11gt-steeda95mm" (currently loaded) and "95 cammed" (haven't tried). I'm new to the tuning scene and was hoping to get some information on those tunes. My gas mileage sucks at about 11-12mpg around town, and I'm not even sure if I should be running higher than 87 octane with the current tune (I've been running 87). I also noticed today driving it on icy roads for the first time that the TC doesn't seem to kick in the way it should, but if I rip it sideways pretty good the ESC seems to finally kick in, is the TC and the ESC adjustable through the tuner as well, and does the tune I have loaded now have them permanently set to sport mode??? If so, can I change that for the wintery conditions? I can't tune it back to stock because it runs like crap with the CAI and I don't have the stock air box. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I said, I'm new to the tuning world. The car runs great with no issues (other than a slight piston pin tick) and the idle sure sounds and feels badass with the tune, I would just like to know more about what I'm dealing with.
Also, is there any way to find out through the serial # on the tuner where it was purchased and if it came with "free tuning for life" from wherever it was purchased?
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
speakerman86
2nd Gear Member

What you have are 2 separate custom tunes. The first sounds like it's just for the mods done to the car. The second could be for what they call a "ghost cam" which offsets the cam timing so it lopes more at idle and sounds like you have a big cam. You should really be running a higher octane in that car especially being it's a higher horsepower engine. Running anything lower in the newer gt's and it could start pinging. As far as who made your tunes you could try calling some of the larger companies that write them like American muscle and brenspeed but it could have been done by a smaller local tuner too so good luck there. It might be worth it to buy one of the free tunes for life packages so you can try a few different tunes to see if your mileage improves.

Last edited by speakerman86; 01-06-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

The new 5.0 is designed to run on premium, even though it is safe to run 87. Since you supposedly have a tune on your car you should be running, at the minimum of 91, until you sort out what octane your tunes are designed for. It's safer to run a higher octane fuel than your tunes fuel rating than a lower octane. I'm sure the 87 is why you hear pinging. You say your getting 12mpg...is that the from the computer avg or do you actually do the math? With the cammed tune, I think the cats need deleted to run that, so look under your car to see if you have them or not.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

I've been communicating with Gus from Steeda, he's been very helpful so far. I also scored a stock air box setup for free plus shipping from someone on another forum. So my plan right now is to just tune back to stock and start fresh. Probably gonna go with tunes from Steeda. I know the car has cats because I put them on myself. It has none when I bought it. As for the cam lope, Gus told me he could write it into a tune and it will not damage the cats. As for the noise I'm hearing, I know what a ping sounds like...the noise I'm getting is not a ping.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 PM
speakerman86
2nd Gear Member

I would put back all the stock parts and return it to stock tune first. Then track down the tick you are hearing and get that resolved. If it's not a ping from the wrong octane it could be a much worse problem. You said you recently bought it.....hopefully from a dealership with a warranty. Get that tracked down before you worry about the new tune......

Just my 2 cents