V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Cutting off catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
StangRodeo

Default RE: Cutting off catalytic converter

I think a v6 with no cats just sounds annoying. I like flowmaster 40s with high flow cats, like mentioned. Whoever said that flowmasters make it sound ricey, well, I don't agree with that.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usfmustang03

i post the same question as verado...same deal...i got an 03 v6...i wanted to just do straight pipes from where i cut the cats off though. Do the flowmasters give a ricer sound? I just want it to be loud, kinda want a GT sound out of it cuz im thinkin im gonna mask it like a gt and get gt front and rear bumpers and emblems...soooo i want the deepest sound i can possibly get out of a 6cyl.
DO NOT get GT emblems and put them on your v6. the bumpers are perfectly fine. it will look good. but dont try and call it something its not. if you want new emblems go to autobadges and get some 3.8 emblems or some 232's dont try and call your car a GT...and what happens when another v6 mustang pulls up next to you and you race and you loose??? or even a v6 camaro. even worse. youll have GT's and Z28's tryn to race you and you will get raped horribly.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Lancerzor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

i post the same question as verado...same deal...i got an 03 v6...i wanted to just do straight pipes from where i cut the cats off though. Do the flowmasters give a ricer sound? I just want it to be loud, kinda want a GT sound out of it cuz im thinkin im gonna mask it like a gt and get gt front and rear bumpers and emblems...soooo i want the deepest sound i can possibly get out of a 6cyl.
DO NOT get GT emblems and put them on your v6. the bumpers are perfectly fine. it will look good. but dont try and call it something its not. if you want new emblems go to autobadges and get some 3.8 emblems or some 232's dont try and call your car a GT...and what happens when another v6 mustang pulls up next to you and you race and you loose??? or even a v6 camaro. even worse. youll have GT's and Z28's tryn to race you and you will get raped horribly.
I think its just stupid to have GT emblems on a V6, personally i'm damn proud of my V6 ))
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
2001 mustang v6
1st Gear Member

I wanna put a magna flow dual exhaust on my v6 but was wondering if i go with no cats will i pass smog???
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Verado
3rd Gear Member

It will definently not pass emission control with out the cats on.

However, i live in florida and emission control was taken out like 5 years ago, so i have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:02 AM
00silverStang
2nd Gear Member

Im thinking about just cutting off my catalytic converter and running straight pipes all the way back. Does anyone have any idea what its gonna sound like? I also have 2 flowmaster exhausts (one installed already, one not) How will it sound with the catalytic converter removed and the flowmasters placed on to straight pipes?
It will sound like a bumble bee on steroids.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Lancerzor
2nd Gear Member

Um in Florida it is illegal to not have cats on your car I live in florida and shops wont do it
Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Verado
3rd Gear Member

Yes, its illegal, its illegal in every state. Some shops will take them off, i know of two shops within 20 mn of my housee that will completly loker/exhaust my car and take off the cats.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Lancerzor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Verado

Yes, its illegal, its illegal in every state. Some shops will take them off, i know of two shops within 20 mn of my housee that will completly loker/exhaust my car and take off the cats.
You dont happen to live in tampa or near there so you could tell me the shops do ya ?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:28 AM
2001 mustang v6
1st Gear Member

so in california will i need the cats???... probaly cause the enviromentalists are super **** here.

Quick Reply: Cutting off catalytic converter