V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Strange shimmy please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:12 PM
dmacalak

Default Strange shimmy please help!!

I have this odd shimmy that seems to only happen slightly at around 35 then at 45 gets pretty severe, then it smoothes out. I just had the ball joints replaced, which has helped, but didn't solve the problem. I also recently had 4 new tires put on, balanced, and aligned. I am freaking out because this is getting very irritating. If anyway could offer some insight I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
DMacalak
Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM
dmacalak

Default RE: Strange shimmy please help!!

/bump for some help please!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 PM
04Mach1DD
2nd Gear Member

more detail, now what are you asking?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:33 AM
dmacalak

Ok, let's see. I have a 97' V6 and while I am cruising along I get this vibration that shakes the entire car. It happens briefly around 35 mph or so but not everytime, then at around 45 mph it gets more harsh and shakes more abruptly, but not everytime. I am no mechanic and have no automotive experience, so I take it to Midas. I explain to them what's going on and on a whim suggest it might be a ball joint, because it reminds me of when you are driving next to someone and you look over and see one of their wheels aggitating like a washing machine. Now from what I have understood, this is usually due to a tire being out of balance or a busted ball joint. Since, I just recently got ripped off by some jank tire shop, that installed POS tires, balanced, and aligned them. Since it still was apparent after having new tires put on, I assumed that maybe it was the ball joint. Sure enough, the mechanic dude from Midas say's, "Yep, you have a busted ball joint sir."

So now since I don't have a lot of cash at the moment, I had someone else to install 2 new lower ball joints for 1/3rd of the price Midas was going to charge me. After waiting patiently for my ball joints to be installed, and getting excited about this shimmying going away, I thanked the gentleman for his work, shook his dirty hand, paid the dude, and jumped in my ride, grabbed a napkin and took off. So, I am cruising get around 35 mph don't notice anything, keep crusing all is good, then bang, here it comes, the shaking again!!!

Now I am not upset that I had new ball joints installed, because it's probably good maintenance anyway, and in my opinion, it has improved the handling. This shaking however is rather irritating though, it's been shaking like this for quite some time. I chose to ignore it at first, but I can't take it anymore. Any insight, suggestions, or whatever would be appreciated. I hope I have done better in explaining the issue, and if I haven't please, be specific in questioning.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:35 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmacalak

I have this odd shimmy that seems to only happen slightly at around 35 then at 45 gets pretty severe, then it smoothes out. I just had the ball joints replaced, which has helped, but didn't solve the problem. I also recently had 4 new tires put on, balanced, and aligned. I am freaking out because this is getting very irritating. If anyway could offer some insight I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
DMacalak
Need input....year, milage...what type of vibration? In the brake pedal? In the steering wheel? the whole body?? NEED INPUT!!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:40 AM
dmacalak

It's a 1997 3.8L, it has 115,000 miles on it. In my opinion it's shakes the whole car including the driver and any passengers, you can definitely feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to only happen during accellaration. Hope this helps and thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmacalak

It's a 1997 3.8L, it has 115,000 miles on it. In my opinion it's shakes the whole car including the driver and any passengers, you can definitely feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to only happen during accellaration. Hope this helps and thanks
First place I would look is the U-Joints. Second, the tranny mount.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 AM
dmacalak

Thanks, I appreciate the help.