V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

SVO Modification help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 04:56 PM
SVOTurbo

Default SVO Modification help

I'm new here. I searched some posts in SVO talk, and this forum. i have an 84 SVO 2.3L in a 93 LX body. i orignally purchased the 84 SVO from a guy in Jersey who supposedly rebuilt the motor. i took engine trans and rear and put it in a 93 LX body because the 84 body wasnt quite up to par. Now the car is finished painted and all that good stuff. i feel the car isnt giving its full potential. I was wondering whether or not he used a turbo head/cam in the rebuild. i was wondering if that would affect performance. also if anyone knows a good place for Mods. im struggling to find upgrades for the engine (Cams, pistons, rods, headers, turbo upgrade). any help would be much apperciated.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 07-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SVO Modification help

the turbo head has inconel exhaust valves, so if you're running pretty heavy boost, non turbo head valves would be burned long ago, therefore he probably used a turbo head. as for the cam, you should look for a roller cam and followers from a dual plug engine (the original engine from the 93 should have one). cam doesnt wear out and it gives mo powah and can be gotten for cheap. pistons shouldn't be an issue, nor should rods. headers can be gotten from http://www.turboford.org/sponsors/rod.htm http://www.40bob.com/headers.html and http://projecthp.ford23.com/stingerperformance.html. the turbo will be a little more involved than just locating one for cheap. i would just leave the stock turbo because it can handle like 25 psi
Old 07-24-2004, 12:44 PM
SVOTurbo

Thanks for the info on them parts. I had seen a site that will fully rebuild a core for 1400 port polish pistons ex. I was wondering wether or not it owuld be worth it. I know my car should be running alot faster and smoother than it is now. If you have any sugestions as to what I should check or look over that ould be great. thanks again for the site......
Ryan
Old 07-24-2004, 01:57 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Im no expert on the SVO's but have owned an old turbo car, is it possible to add an intercooler to that setup and get drastic results?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVOTurbo

Thanks for the info on them parts. I had seen a site that will fully rebuild a core for 1400 port polish pistons ex. I was wondering wether or not it owuld be worth it. I know my car should be running alot faster and smoother than it is now. If you have any sugestions as to what I should check or look over that ould be great. thanks again for the site......
Ryan

i would see about getting a big vam and la3 (can be found on turboford.org) and your car will probably run better and faster
Old 07-24-2004, 03:20 PM
SVOTurbo

Another problem I am facing is unusual amount of oil in the hose coming from my air box to the turbo. Do you have any idea what may cause that? Maybe a seal?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

no idea, mine doesnt have one of those
Old 07-24-2004, 04:37 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

sounds like to much internal pressure do you have a pcv valve? or you have a compression ring going..do a compression test.......yes you can make a wholemade intercooler to boost power I would pull the head and have bigger valves installed and some bowl and port work along with a bigger cam..their are many to chose from while the head is off flycut the pistons and polish them off. have the head o-ring and you'll be good for 18-22 psi..don't go cheap on the head gasket
Old 07-24-2004, 06:06 PM
SVOTurbo

yea I was kinda thinking it had to much internal preasure. Do you know of anywayz I can fix or stop that from happening? Thanks for the info..

Ryan