V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Removing Rear Cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 AM
TruXter

Default RE: Removing Rear Cats

houston and surrounding areas have emission laws... but long before the emissions laws there was a law passed that said you can not legally remove cat,s from vehicles. since like the late seventies.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 AM
cominus
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sparks232

ORIGINAL: cobra232

ORIGINAL: MustangMike2001

Would the car still pass emissions with just the front two cats on it?
yes the car will pass a smog check without the rear cats as long as you keep the rear O2 sensors in place
So if you take the rear cats out...and keep the rear O2 sensors in place it wont kick any lights on?? and i really dont want to have to change out my MAC cat back exhaust, but fastfall90 said that mac doesnt sound that good with a non-catted setup...anybody else heard a MAC system without cats? and can any muffler shop custom make me a divorced setup? and how is the sound of the exhaust going to change if i go divorced... well lets say for now i leave the cats on. if i just go divorced is my exhaust going to really sound any different? or will i have to do something with the cats for it to make a difference in sound.
taking the rear cats off and still using the rear O2 sensors will not throw a check engine light as long as the O2's are not further than 12" behind the first cats.

going divorced will make it alittle deeper and alittle louder but your better off removing the rear cats. it will sound Ok like that even though i don't care for MAC's. they will buzz at higher rpm's no way around that with MAC mufflers
Yea ive noticed the buzz at higher rpm's...sounds pretty good i think for the price, i dont know how much more $ im gonna invest into this car though...im thinking about getting a Mach 1...so i think i should just save for mods for that car..
I dont know why people complain about having buzzing at high rpms, I mean any and every other v6 is gonna have that unless you got some kind of cam running. I have mac with divorce, and it definetly sound louder than stock, better? Eh, some what, but I think what you may want is some longtube headers and removing the cats as well, catless is gonna make it louder, but lt's are gonna probably make a deeper sound. I dont really know, I'll let you guys know when I get my setup done.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMike2001

Would the car still pass emissions with just the front two cats on it?
yes the car will pass a smog check without the rear cats as long as you keep the rear O2 sensors in place
So if you take the rear cats out...and keep the rear O2 sensors in place it wont kick any lights on?? and i really dont want to have to change out my MAC cat back exhaust, but fastfall90 said that mac doesnt sound that good with a non-catted setup...anybody else heard a MAC system without cats? and can any muffler shop custom make me a divorced setup? and how is the sound of the exhaust going to change if i go divorced... well lets say for now i leave the cats on. if i just go divorced is my exhaust going to really sound any different? or will i have to do something with the cats for it to make a difference in sound.
taking the rear cats off and still using the rear O2 sensors will not throw a check engine light as long as the O2's are not further than 12" behind the first cats.

going divorced will make it alittle deeper and alittle louder but your better off removing the rear cats. it will sound Ok like that even though i don't care for MAC's. they will buzz at higher rpm's no way around that with MAC mufflers
Yea ive noticed the buzz at higher rpm's...sounds pretty good i think for the price, i dont know how much more $ im gonna invest into this car though...im thinking about getting a Mach 1...so i think i should just save for mods for that car..
this is where cobra232 usually comes in with something allong the lines of "force mufflers sound so much better, and cheaper than mac's. they have the same exact design as flows, but somehow sound better?!?get some for $36/muffler from summit racing, part number EGB-6303"