V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

more hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
redmustang98
2nd Gear Member

Default more hp

so i am about to buy a ud pulley and a cai...well my g.f. buyin it for me... but i kno thts only like tops 10 hp so i was wondering wat other stuff can i get tht will increase my HP more than like 10 or so? im lookin to spend around 700 so jus gimme wat eva u can it would be much appreciated
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
98Ga
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: more hp

port and polish upper and lower intake
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
redmustang98
2nd Gear Member

wat does that do and where cani find it?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Can somebody explain to me what exactly is a port and polish upper intake. What does it do? Whats the difference between stock and not? How much does it cost,and cost to install? Is it worth the money?

edit: i did a small search, and i kinda almost understand what it is. I thought it was a part. How much would it cost to get somebody to proffesionally do this? (im still a little confused onto what it is)
Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

you motor is a giant air pump right now the car is breathing through a restricted manifold you can port and polish the manifold and make it bigger allowing more air to flow thus moving you power band higher into the rpm range right now due to volumetric efficency you car is only making power to about 4200 rpm then it topps off because at that speed the motor is sucking in as much air as it possibly and even reving higher wont lets any more through so by opening the manifold you increase your volumetric efficiency and allow you car to take in more air and allow you to actualy gain power at a rpm over 4200

you can also port your heads and increase the size of your valves and the size of you exhaust manifold/headers and the piping but the thing is when you start changing the volumetric effiency too much you will gain power up high at like 6500 but you actualy wont stat making power until you hit say 3000 rpm which would suck

pertty much your power band is about a 3000-3500 rpm range and the higher you move it up in the rpms the higher you have to rev to create power
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

OP: Nice looking car.
If you are looking for strictly bolt-on with no labor fees. A good start might be a tuner (esp. if you have an auto)and a fenderwell CAI(or K&N w/o silencer). UDP'sare an option as well.Other places to pick up HP on older car may inculde fresh igintion parts, fresh fuel filter w/ injector cleaner, and a clean throttle body. Those are not really mods, but thing that should be covered before you spend $ on speed parts.

Things that might require labor include an H-pipe/mufflers, and any intake porting. Gear will not improve power,but will provide quicker accelerartion at the cost of higher cruisingRPM's. Gears can be expensive to buy/have installed.
The mods, like the airflow ones, might not be wortha lot of power by themselves, but together with a tune are a nice combo.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

So, if i took it to a mechanic and was like, "port and polish my upper and lower intake" they would know what to do and do it? And does that mean when your racing you should shift at 4,500 because rmps above that arnt even putting out any more power?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

super six mustang is the best place to get one morana or some one makes them also but the CS sucks iv heard and i dont think RPM mustang is arround any more

so SSM it is you can get a regular PnP or a cut and weld a cut and weld is better because their is some parts of the manifold that they cant reach so you can actualy get them to cut the manifold into several pieces and fully port the manifold and then they weld it back to gether that is only done on the upper the lower they can do fine with out cut and welding

you can also get the heads ported and the valve seats regroung and bigger valves put in to allow more air flow in and out of the cylinders

and you can get the TB borted out so you can have max flow through that as well

it all depends on wat you want to do most people just get a port to match the gaskets and what is done is the company puts a gasket right up against the manifold and cuts the heads manifolds the same size as that gasket
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

im not sure if thats a FACT but thats what iv heard for the most part jt horn or cobra 232 or one of those guys will prolly know for a fact but thats what iv been told

and it you do buy one from SSM the price listed on the site is what you have to pay now and then you will get money back if you sent them your old manifolds as a core

90 core return for a 99-04 upper
40 core return for a 98-older upper
90 core return for a 99-04 lower
40 core return for a 98-older lower
150 core return for a 99-04 heads
120 core return for a 98-older heads
Old 08-09-2007, 08:41 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Ohh thats really cool. Are these things that can be installed and uninstalld easily?

damn, together their like 700 dollars. thats to much for now at least.