V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What custome exhaust setup to get

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:45 PM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

Default What custome exhaust setup to get

Alright, well I think for my birthday I'm gonna get an exhaust. I want to go the buy the mufflers and then have a shop custom fab an H or X pipe fromt he cat's back.

My questoins for my 98?

What mufflers will give mea nice raspy sound with some pops and crackles. I love that kind of sound. i've heard Flowmaster 40's are best, but do they give the raspy sound with said crackles in it? What do cherry bomb mufflers sound like in real life? I listneed to a youtube vid, and it sounds pretty good to me.

Also, do I need resonators, or can I just run straight formt eh cats to the mufflers? I defiinitely need cats because we have sniffer emmissions tests here. I'd rather not have resonators, but if its gonna be really loud, then I'd probably get them.

And, what size pipes, and what size tailpipes should I use? I was thinking 2.25 or 2.5 for the pipes, and then like 2.5 for the tailpipes. I'm looking to gain some HP, so i'd trade some of my torque for more horsepower. i've heard that 2.5 makes you lose too much power, is that true?

Do i want an H pipe or an X pipe, or divorced pipes? I'm looing (once again) for a raspy tone with some snaps and crackles in it.

I need to start figuring it out now so i can look for mufflers and whatnot.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What custome exhaust setup to get

Flows are gonna give you the best sound on a V6, IMO. SLP's have a nice rasp on a V8, but sound like dog **** on a six.

As far as losing power, that's a myth. It just moves the power higher in the power band.

You probably want a X for the cracks and pops.

Run 2.5 inch pipes from the cats back, and then at least 3 inch for the tips. Anything smaller looks dumb.

You won't need resonaters. If you're keeping the stock cats, just cut the y pipe behind them, then run 2.5 pipes to the mufflers with the X pipe, 2.5 pipes over the axles, and 3 inch tips out under the bumper.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 PM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Flows are gonna give you the best sound on a V6, IMO. SLP's have a nice rasp on a V8, but sound like dog **** on a six.

As far as losing power, that's a myth. It just moves the power higher in the power band.

You probably want a X for the cracks and pops.

Run 2.5 inch pipes from the cats back, and then at least 3 inch for the tips. Anything smaller looks dumb.

You won't need resonaters. If you're keeping the stock cats, just cut the y pipe behind them, then run 2.5 pipes to the mufflers with the X pipe, 2.5 pipes over the axles, and 3 inch tips out under the bumper.
what are SLP's?

With the X pipe, do the two pipes join up, to where the pipes actually open up into eachother, and then split back off agian, or do they just touch and are welded next to eachother?

I'm defiintely looking for more horsepower, and I'd trade some torque to gain it, so I think I will go with the 2.5" and then 3" tips.

I like the flowmasters, they just sound kind of generic to me.

so, X pipe, no resonators, 2.5" pipes with 3" tips, and now I've just gotta decide on mufflers.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

If u dont wana overspend get some gt takeoffs and just let shop fabricate divorce duals for u. Heres a vid of mine

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06691858060835

Acceleratin from 0-60

and second one here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39849524274603
Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

BTW this is before hi flow cats
Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

SLP is another company. They sound OK on V8's. The SLP 2's are good. The 1's are just plain noise. All of them sound awful on a V6.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

I don't want the GT takeoffs, i want something unique. Besides, i've looked around here and I can't find anyone selling their takeoffs.

I really don't care much about the money as long as its below 300-400. thats the reason I want to go the custom route, is i can get 100 bucks for mufflers, and then have the shop fab my pipes for like 250 and be all done.

Damn, its hard to find clips of glasspacks.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

SLP is another company. They sound OK on V8's. The SLP 2's are good. The 1's are just plain noise. All of them sound awful on a V6.
what's your opinon on glasspacks?

edit: man, I just found a vid of SLP's on youtube. yuck.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
stangant
5th Gear Member

i have a custom setup coming up and i am going to take of the cats but will wait 2 take those off until i have all 4 sensor eliminators. i am running a custom x-pipe and duel side exit exhaust that i think is going to look and sound mean.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:28 AM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I would get 2.5" chrome tips because there aren't any bumper cutouts on SN95's. Mine are 2.5" slash cut and are about 18" long(no stubby look). As far as the set up: 2.25" piping should be good. I vote catted H-pipe with some Flowmaster 40 (Super 40 or Delta Flow) The popping noise would be more prominate on a straight-through design muffler though and is not really dependent on the midpipe H or X design. I have a catted H-pipe wiht 2.25" Delta Flow 40 mufflers and it will "back down " in the right RPM range which is about 2000-1500 RPM's for me. Backing down has a lot to do with driving techquies and what trans gear you are in.

Quick Reply: What custome exhaust setup to get