V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 AM
USAFFord

Default Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger

Alrighty. Here's the dealio. I do have a 2001,3.8lv6, and I'm super happy with it. I dont really have many mods besides aftermarket hood and side scoops, Cobra rims, dual exhaust, and some sound system stuff. Now i really want to get into some performance stuff.

I've been reading and reading about superchargers and turbochargers, and i feel like i want a supercharger.

So here's my problem. I can't seem to find anything about what i will absolutely NEED to do to my engine in order to make
the supercharger not only work for my car, but not blow up my engine. I need hopefully a list of specific engine mods, and what kind
of price i'm lookin at to take a stock 3.8l engine, and supercharge it.

I would love and appreciatesome help on this issue! No worries about labor costs though....i have friends that work as mechanics....I just dont want to sound dumb asking them questions over this stuff. :-) haha
Old 05-08-2008, 04:35 AM
Flake6899
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger

Do you know which supercharger you want?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 AM
USAFFord

well, i'm glad you asked. :-)

I've heard good things about vortech and prochargers....whatever gets me the most bang for my buck i suppose. I'm not looking to become a huge street racer or anything...and i'm not looking for enormous power...I just want to make my car more fun to drive...and maybe something i can use to embarass my friends if they try to race me. heh heh

what do you suggest? Thanks for the reply. :-)
Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 AM
USAFFord

I guess, if you dont mind me asking....

another good question would be:

Should i puta lot of other mods...such as catbacks, exhaust, headers, CAI, 4.10's, port polish...rather than a supercharger?? haha...sorry for all the questions
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Redneck1465
2nd Gear Member

Personnally If I had the money to go with a supercharger thats what I would do before I messed with little stuff like a CAI.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
mysteed
2nd Gear Member

Superchargers:
M112 supercharger- The cheapest kit out there (under 3k)but you must find all the parts yourself. If you want something that looks amazing when you pop the hood or something everyone will recognize isn't stock, then this is the supercharger for you. This does not currently come intercooled and you will either need a 3" cowl hoodor you can cut your stock hood and let it poke through (this is what I did).On a stock motor, you will make around 260-275rwhp and 300-315rwtq. Since this supercharger has a self contained oiling system, you will need to change the oil every 25,000 miles.

Vortech- The middle of the road kit but also comes with almost everything that you need for the install. You will need to tap the oil pan to add this supercharger but it requires little maintenance. This does not come with an intercooler but you can add one if you can get someone to fab one for you. On a stock motor you should make around 230-250rwhp and 275-290rwtq. The average price for a Vortech runs around $3,000 but you will still need to buy fuel injectors, MAF, and a fuel pump.

Procharger: There are two kits available from Procharger (8psi and 11psi)but both give a significant increase in power over stock.If you choose togo with the Procharger 11psi kit it comes with an intercooler and you can upgrade to the 3 corer intercooler at an additional cost (this is highly recommended). You can also upgrade the stock P1SC headunit to the D1SC, which is high recommened since the D1SC is more efficient. Upgrading the headunit at the time of purchase adds another $300 to the cost, but if you want the upgraded headunit later it'll cost you in the neighborhood of $1,775. This kit offers the highest numbers based on a stock motor (around 300rwhp and 300rwtq with the standard kit) but it is also the most expensive kit at around $4,000. On the other side, the Procharger kits come with almost everything you need to install the kit, but you will need to relocate the AC lines and some users have problems with shredding belts prematurely due to the belt alignment being off (this can be easily fixed by some shims). Also, since the Procharger is a self-oiling unit, you will need to change the oil in the supercharger ever 6,000 miles.

Turbo's:
Check out www.tmaturbo.com for full pricing and differences between a single turbo and twin turbo's. Also be aware that it will take several weeks for Any at TMA to make your kit but his work is well worth it. You can have a shop custom fab up a kit for you, but expect it to cost around 5$5,000-7,000.

Keep in mind that no matter what supercharger or turbo(s) you go with you will still need to get a boost gauge (plus somewhere to mount it), atune, colder sparkplugs (ex: NGK TR6's or NGK TR7's), and it is recommened that you change the cars fluids at the same time.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM
psyviperx
3rd Gear Member

Theres also this option:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=55

Which i'm leaning towards myself. Has anyone used this kit? Would you still need to upgrade the injectors, pump, and plugs?

Sorry about the slight hijack, but i figure you'll appreciate the option and info too.

-Viper
Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 PM
USAFFord

So it looks like procharger is the way to go if i want the most gains for my money. :-) You gave me A LOT of helpful information and thanyou very much for that. So with a stock engine, i've done some reading around, and it looks like i probably shouldnt go anywhere over the neighborhood of 9psi? And what would 300rwhp be at the crank? I guess while we're at it, i can ask you how you figure those numbers out...or if it differs from car to car...which is what i'm assuming...

Another good thing i should probably know....what, if anything, should i replace in the engine if i want to up the boost a little bit?

Gawd i feel like a little kid asking so much stuff!!! haha
Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Don't forget to mention prochargers are known to start leaking oil out the steal, and taking out bearings.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

Don't forget to mention prochargers are known to start leaking oil out the steal, and taking out bearings.

Change your sig. It makes me sad

Quick Reply: Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger