V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Motor Oils..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:54 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default 1

Originally Posted by Fink
Q Horsepower w/ FRAM XG3600 filter.
Fink, please tell me you are kidding on this....

The oil may be okay(jury is still kinda out on quaker state synthetic, but their petroleum stuff is garbage), but fram filters are horrible. There was a write up about it years ago about fram filters starving mustangs and causing damage. Here is an excerpt from a fram testing:

Fram

While Fram has been around since 1934, Honeywell (formerly Allied-Signal, formerly Bendix) has been manufacturing Fram filters since they bought-out the company in 1967. While I don't know when they started making them like this, I suspect it has been for many decades. See this 1999 email from an Allied Signal production engineer. Also see episode 41 of the TV show "How It's Made" for a look at the production line for these filters. Fram filters are sold pretty much anywhere oil filters are sold.
Fram Extra Guard PH8A

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are bonded in place using a thermal adhesive. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap. In practice these seem to leak, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you use this filter and have a noisy valve train at startup, the filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak when they should be closed. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default 1

Originally Posted by MustangFinFan
are there any that are particularly better than the others? I myself use Castrol High Mileage (comes in the green bottle), but I hear stories occasionally about people who's cars last til a million miles, or 500K and they just use regular oil (mobil1, pennzoil, etc). They never used the ones with all the additives that are apparently supposed to help your car.

so what do u guys think? Is it worth it to spend the extra 10-15 bucks to buy the high-mileage ones with additives, or should i just stick to regular oil like pennzoil? My mustang is a 1999 with 105K miles by the way.
First off, switch to a full synthetic oil. Take your pick, but tests show: Amsoil=1, Mobil 1=2, you could debate lower oils, but why bother. Filters break down: Purolator pure one=1, bosch premium/k&n=2. Go forth and may your engine prosper.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang99v6
Fink, please tell me you are kidding on this....

The oil may be okay(jury is still kinda out on quaker state synthetic, but their petroleum stuff is garbage), but fram filters are horrible. There was a write up about it years ago about fram filters starving mustangs and causing damage. Here is an excerpt from a fram testing:

Fram

While Fram has been around since 1934, Honeywell (formerly Allied-Signal, formerly Bendix) has been manufacturing Fram filters since they bought-out the company in 1967. While I don't know when they started making them like this, I suspect it has been for many decades. See this 1999 email from an Allied Signal production engineer. Also see episode 41 of the TV show "How It's Made" for a look at the production line for these filters. Fram filters are sold pretty much anywhere oil filters are sold.
Fram Extra Guard PH8A

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are bonded in place using a thermal adhesive. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap. In practice these seem to leak, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you use this filter and have a noisy valve train at startup, the filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak when they should be closed. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.
Well, Ive been using the same engine oil/filter combination for over 2 years and I havent had any engine problems. I dont even have the spark knock problem due to the stock valve covers since mine is a 99.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
DBovine
2nd Gear Member

I had been having my oil changed at the deal but am about to start doing it myself, and I was just going to use the Motorcraft 5w-20 and the Motocraft filter. Since I can get all of that at walmart it just seemed like it made sense since I only really have a CAI for a mod at this point
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
MustangFinFan

ya, my cousin keeps telling me to use synthetic oil, its much better for the engine he says. but like i said, so many people have cars with a million miles and they just use regular oil...so, im not sure if synthetic oils and additive oils are a scam or not
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM
bgnn32
2nd Gear Member

Mobil 1 oil and WIX filter.

The NASCAR team I worked with always used Mobil 1 and you could pull those motors apart after 600+ miles of 10,000 RPM driving and they would look brand new, that sold me on Mobil 1

Last edited by bgnn32; 07-27-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
TurtleSLow
3rd Gear Member

^^^ same exact setup as me mobil1 full synthetic and WIX filter.

any input on WIX filters? i have had no problems and they seem like good filters to me
Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default 1

Originally Posted by TurtleSLow
^^^ same exact setup as me mobil1 full synthetic and WIX filter.

any input on WIX filters? i have had no problems and they seem like good filters to me
Wix are great. Some say they are the best ever made. Truth is... they do have an ingenious valve that prevents the engine from being starved for oil. But, purolator and bosch have more square inches of element, which may filter better.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Any comments on valvoline high mileage synthetic blend? I use that with a motorcraft filter.