V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

best brake system for the stang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
So far in my book the Mach 1 set up is more than enough for for a slightly modded DD. I have it, I love it, and it is very easy to install, and replace. Dont listen to much to ESG - he's always in a bad mood.

Matthew
Nope not in a bad mood, don't confuse the fact that I know more about your car that you do for me being in a bad mood.

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Vintagevenom has a nice kit but unless you find the Brembo's cheap your forking out just as much if not more than for the 00R kit.
You mean the gt500 brackets for the 99-04? But the wheels options / offsets look kinda silly
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I am not a fan unless you can get everything CHEAP.
There are better options for less.

Its really not all that different than my Roush kit though other than using S197 wheels.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 02-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I checked them out again, I guess they are selling the kit complete with calipers and rotors now.

I usually check them out because of the Classic Cobra brake conversion.
We have Cobra brakes for my wifes 71' Mach 1 and we will be buying their kit sometime this spring.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Found out they will be putting ceramics on mine.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I am running Duralast Gold ceramic pads on the front and rear of my 01' (It came with them.)

They seem to work well, but when they get wet they REALLY suck.
The only other stock pad cars (Two V6 00's) that I have to compare them to felt just fine too.
For DD use, I really saw no diff except for being crappy when wet.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Just got home from the repair shops. $300. All new ceramic shoes front and back, Ground down the right front rotor and totally replaced the front left. I noticed while the wheels were off that the front rotors are smooth and the back ones are vented and slotted. Thought that was a tad strange.

When we got home the wife asked me to point out the rotors and of course i put my finger tip right on it.. OUCH HOT.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by ESG-642T
Nope not in a bad mood, don't confuse the fact that I know more about your car that you do for me being in a bad mood.
I never said I knew more than you, nor did I question your knowledge. My comment was simply to point out your people skills suck.

Matthew
Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well played XD

$300 isnt a bad price to get out with what you did, how do you like them?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK I can compare a lot of different setups cause I've owned several Mustangs with different brakes. By far the best bang for the buck option you can do is a Cobra brake conversion kit with drilled/slotted rotors. Upsides, you'll have amazing look and unbelievable stopping power. Yes there are better kits such as those by Brembo and Bear but for the price they want it's not worth it for a normal daily driver. The larger diamerter of the Cobra sized rotors coupled with the drilled/slotted allows for grab brake grab. The down side is you'll burn through pads quicker cause of the slots in the rotors and you will experiance more brake dust so was your rims regularly. Now the downside use ceramic pads only as semi metallic, and metallic pads will degrade quicker and can throw small particles of steel out as dust onto your car which will instantly rust when moisture hits it which can ruin your rims and paint.

A standard Cobra brake conversion is also a huge improvement over your stock brakes but you can do better. I notice my Cobra grabs a hell of a lot better than my 00, however if I do keep the car I will put drilled/slotted brakes as my 95 can outstop my Cobra any day and only difference is it has the drilled/slotted rotors.

The braided brake lines are up to you, not really needed for normal driving but will help.

My recommendation is get a 99-04 Cobra or Mach 1 conversion kit. If the kit doesn't come with ceramic pads then buy some, they aren't that expensive if you go to a local auto parts store, Autozone seems to be the best price. Then get some drilled/slotted rotors. I got mine off ebay and they have been really good. Only one company seems to sell drilled/slotted rotors for Cobras on ebay and I think that's the same one I bought mine from. The zinc coating does come off the brakes after use, however it stays on a large potion of the brake and really helps protect it. I can't justify spending $400+ for rotors. Keep the Brembo Cobra rotors that come with the kit for backup, for that "just in case" if something ever happens. And you're good to go.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Well played XD

$300 isnt a bad price to get out with what you did, how do you like them?
Ah I really like them. Didn't get to drive far home. Shop was just up the road. I did notice that the brake pedal is a lot softer now and goes down further. I hope it's just something Ill get used to and not a problem. The old one was fast to grab and firm without much give.

And $160 of that cost was labor.

Quick Reply: best brake system for the stang?