V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Electrical problem (headlights, taillights)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
V6Bustang

Default Electrical problem (headlights, taillights)

First off I'd like to say I'm new to the site so if I'm posting in the wrong spot please redirect me without flaming. Secondly I'd like to mention that I've searched high and low on the internet for the same problem and have not been able to find the cause. Thirdly I'd like to thank anyone for any help in the matter at hand as I have been trying to troubleshoot and find the problem myself to no avail.

On to the problem.
About a week ago I got into my car with a friend who pointed out that my headlights weren't on as I was driving at night. I parked the car and tried to check it out. What I came up with was quite puzzling. The dimmer switch pulled all the way back would turn on the parking lights but not the headlights. Checking the multifunction switch showed that brights would go on if pulled towards to flash, but wouldn't remain on if pushed forward. As well as right turn signal working front and back, as opposed to left turn signal which only lit up the front but not rear. Also the right brake light works but not the left. Fog lights do not work either. I checked the fuses and relays which all seem to be fine as well as ground (that is if I was checking the correct one). Highly doubt all the primary filaments blew at the same time but the bulbs look okay. I looked at the manual but could not really figure out the schematics too well. My guess is that these come together in some relay that has shorted. Sorry for the long story but I figured details are good. I have a 1998 V6 3.8 liter Convertible if that helps in any way. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

How did you check the fuses? Just looking at them isn't sufficient. you need to test them for continuity with a multi-meter or fuse tester. A fuse can sometimes look ok, but actually be blown.

Did you check all the fuses? e.g. the fuses under the hood and the fuses inside the drivers door.

If it was a bad relay, nothing on the circuit would work. Its either a fuse, or a bad dimmer and/or multi-function switch, or a short/break somewhere in the circuit.

My girly has the same ride as you and I have the factory service manual for it. The schematic is fairly straight forward. Its a fairly simple circuit. I can walk you through it depending on if your handy with a multi-meter and where in NJ you live... :-) heh... Born-n-Raised in NJ btw...

You might want to also introduce yourself in the newbie forum on the main page.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM
V6Bustang

Thanks for the response petrock. I pulled out the ones that were related from the looks in the manual and checked continuity and they were good. Highly doubt that a fuse is the culprit. All the symptoms are odd and seem to a point where all of them meet ie. fogs blinkers and low beams. A bad multifunction makes sense just odd that its only the left rear turn signal, low beams and fog is out. Also I can follow some tips if you got em with a multimeter. And I am currently in Parlin NJ. Thanks again guys!