V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mac LT header install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fink
so your putting on heads and intake swap along with LT's now or just intakes and LT's?
No on the heads. I bought an extra set of heads, and I'm going to tinker around with them this winter. I hope to have them flowing pretty good by next summer, which is my planned grassroots 4.3 swap.
So, short answer is LTs+home-made P&P lower+ Vap auto windstar kit upper.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i think id like to do them separately so i could see the difference each mod makes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I did the install myself without removing coilpack or starter. The passenger side was easy enough through the top, but the drivers side needs to be brought in from the bottom. Biggest problem for me was the EGR tubes were all rusted and seized, other than that it's extremely self explanatory. I had some clearance issues on the driver side and the flange was rubbing the transmission pan, it was minimal though. I just shaved the flange about 1/4" and it clears just fine now. invest in a decent catback though, I'm having some backpressure issues with the GT OEM catback, the mufflers are extremely restrictive. I had a tuner already so I can't vouch for whether or not it makes a huge difference, but I still haven't gotten a new tune since the install and everything's running just fine. depending on the mid-pipe you choose (I have BBK) all four O2 sensors will need extending.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WoahPony
I did the install myself without removing coilpack or starter. The passenger side was easy enough through the top, but the drivers side needs to be brought in from the bottom. Biggest problem for me was the EGR tubes were all rusted and seized, other than that it's extremely self explanatory. I had some clearance issues on the driver side and the flange was rubbing the transmission pan, it was minimal though. I just shaved the flange about 1/4" and it clears just fine now. invest in a decent catback though, I'm having some backpressure issues with the GT OEM catback, the mufflers are extremely restrictive. I had a tuner already so I can't vouch for whether or not it makes a huge difference, but I still haven't gotten a new tune since the install and everything's running just fine. depending on the mid-pipe you choose (I have BBK) all four O2 sensors will need extending.
Hey, thanks a bunch for the advice. My plan right now is to use the Mac LT's and Mac H-pipe, graft the stock cats and GT mufflers on. I intend to eliminate the rear 02's via tune. I'll be on the lookout for that flange, die grinder in hand.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

You're going to hate the sound with the GT mufflers, I know I do. Go to your local parts store and try to pick up a set of 2.5" inlet/outlet offset/offset Thrush turbo series mufflers or cherry bomb turbo's. You'll be much happier with the sound AND won't run into the restriction problems I've been dealing with.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Thrush Welded series FTW!

I never had a problem with the flanges being close to anything. I would get high flow cats instead of using the stock cats... set up would look hagard with stock cats.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Isn't it Thrush welded ones that tend to rust out? Try some MAC. Listen to them on YouTube to decide on what you want.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

mac fail on a 6er, flowmasters rust
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I have OEM's now, looking for a full catback if I can find one at the right price. Hopefully magna, borla, bassani, or even a loudmouth. I'm not even going to dwell in the land of flows or thrush's or cherry bombs.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

the bbk midpipe bolts right to the mac lt's? gt midpipe or v6?

Quick Reply: Mac LT header install help