V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mac LT header install help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default Mac LT header install help

Hello all. I'm going to install my LT's this weekend and I have a few questions. I am considering putting them in myself just to get the experience and save a few bucks. So, my questions are:
Will I need a tune to run LT's? I've been told before that the 02's sensors being moved back causes the airstream blah blah blah, or something like that. But, I've also been told that all 4 02 sensors fit fine and just to bolt them up and go. I would like a definitive answer to this.

How loud will it be with LT's installed, along with H-pipe? I cannot weld, so I can install that far back, but I'll have to drive to the muffler shop to get my cats/mufflers cut in.

Well, that is about it. Please let me know anything you can. Any install tips would be appreciated also. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

You don't need a tune but it helps. You can put all the O2s in but you must shut the rear 2 off unless you want a CEL.

Remove the starter, coil pack, wires/plugs and throttle body to have more room. The stock DS manifold comes out through the bottom and the PS comes out through the top.

And grab a friend and a case of beer and set aside about 7 hrs.
LTs and H pipe will be loud but if you stay off the throttle it will be tolerable.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fink
You don't need a tune but it helps. You can put all the O2s in but you must shut the rear 2 off unless you want a CEL.

Remove the starter, coil pack, wires/plugs and throttle body to have more room. The stock DS manifold comes out through the bottom and the PS comes out through the top.

And grab a friend and a case of beer and set aside about 7 hrs.
LTs and H pipe will be loud but if you stay off the throttle it will be tolerable.
Fink, howz it going old buddy? I remember having this convo. with you forever ago, but honestly I cannot find the PM. It probably got deleted. So, you are saying the car will start and run okay-ish, without a tune? As far as the CEL is concerned, I'm not worried about that. Word is I would get that with MIL's anyways, so I might as well save the money on them and just stare at the CEL until I get a tune, right?
Okay, let me ask this. DS goes out the bottom, PS out the top. What about install, is it reverse when putting the LT's in? Or both from the bottom? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

install is through the bottom on both. I bought MILs and they never worked so I just got a tune.

I dont see a problem with running the car without a tune. But do get a proper tune to accommodate for the LT's.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM
brent4
4th Gear Member

I ran my car for a while without a tune and it ran fine. But get it tuned as fast as you can. You will enjoy it so much more. The install is very simple. I did it with the help of my ex gf. Just soak those stock header bolts with pb blaster.

IIRC the socket size you'll need is 12mm. I had to use a 5.5mm to remove some of the studs.

Its time consuming yet fun if you like tinkering on your car.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I want LT's ****ing tree huggers!

Matthew
Old 07-24-2011, 10:04 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

then move! lol.

so hows the install going?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

^still waiting for the engine to show up

Mattthew
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Update is:
headers are not in.
Actually, I haven't even started them yet. Since the coil and TB should come off to ease installation, I decided to go ahead and do the Windstar upper and P&P my lower. So, I figured I only want to do this job once, so I have been waiting for parts to show up. The windstar kit will be here this weekend. I plan to P&P the lower myself, so time isn't an issue. I've decided to leave the car complete in case I need to drive it in an emergency. But, when I tear into it, it will be tore down until both intakes and headers are done. Updates will follow this weekend.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

so your putting on heads and intake swap along with LT's now or just intakes and LT's?

Quick Reply: Mac LT header install help