V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Headlight Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Chucks95RT

Not off topic, rob has a sweet ride...I likey those lights too
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
A bit off topic I know but DAMN Rob I normally dont like green Mustangs but yours looks great! What headlights are those?

Matthew
Those headlights are the ones at Stangmods.com called "Cobra Style Smoked' and they come with clear corners like in some of my pics. I got new corners to pass state inspection and really like them too.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chucks95RT
Not off topic, rob has a sweet ride...I likey those lights too
Thanks alot! I'm looking forward to seeing your new set this week.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

I just bought a headlight restoration kit price about $10.00 to $20.00 depending on the brand. Less than an hr. of elbow grease and I got great results!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Chucks95RT

I received the headlights yesterday via UPS..he tossed the box on my porch and almost got punched in the head. Upon inspection they were packaged decent and had clear plastic film protecting the lenses. Came with instructions and hardware kit.

The side marker nuts are removed, side markers removed and not used again. Save them, trash them, skip them across the parking lot...whatever.

The OEM headlights are removed, one clip and some pulling and the OEM come out pretty easily. Save the clip, set the headlight aside for later...helpful to preadjust new light to about the same length for ease of install.

The one piece design on the new lights use the existing three holes where the OEM headlight mounted. However, the OEM used one clip and two pushlocks per side...this needed three clips per side.($4.98 a pair at advanced auto)

The three adjustable posts that secure the headlight assembly to the car are mounted to the new headlight assembly with tiny little worthless sonovabitchin screws. After installing the lights I started turning the adjusters and the screws pulled out of the housing. Remove headlights, remove ****ty screws. I had to use larger diameter and length screws to secure the three post brackets to the light assembly. Reinstall headlights, insert 3 clips per side. Turn adjusters enough where I'm not spotting treetops. Still need to aim and adjust properly...waiting for darkness.

Pros -
Look Awesome on my black car.
PA legal since they have a yellow reflector.
One piece design reminds me of an early 2000 Grand Prix

Cons -
A complete SOB to install.
Gap filler gasket not "right", looks weird, need to modify it.
Screw included are worthless, really worthless, worse than my ex-wife worthless.
Instructions might as well be for building a submarine.

I will post up pics tomorrow...tired of looking at the headlights right now.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Chucks95RT

Oh, I failed to address a few of the concerns above...

The plastic was quite sturdy, not really flimsy as I expected.

The headlight and marker are not separate, they are the same "cavity". High in the case are vent holes for vapor escape. I drilled three holes in each light, two front one rear for liquid escape.

I believe even after the SOBs kicked my butt, they were still a value at $118 shipped. I just fiinshed replacing my rear shocks, so my patience was worn thin from stuffing my fat *** in the convertable top to get to the top bolts.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Good to hear now lets see some pics!

Matthew
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Sounds great! Congrats. Look forward to the pics.
I am perfectly happy with my KYB shocks right now but I plan on keeping my eyes and ears open to possibly pick up what I think are the best possible street shocks available. I have read up on the Koni and Bilstein shocks. Rear shocks are the most important item concerning ride comfort in my street car.
So anyway... What brand did you get for the rear shocks and how are they?? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Chucks95RT

I just went with Sensa trac replacements...not really an upgrade. Mine were leaking so the ride was rough. Now the rear seems more stable around bumpy turns :0

Just moved to VA, so no pics yet of these lights installed. Hasd to adjust them and ghetto rig last night to drive, so we'll see
Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chucks95RT
I just went with Sensa trac replacements...not really an upgrade. Mine were leaking so the ride was rough. Now the rear seems more stable around bumpy turns :0

Just moved to VA, so no pics yet of these lights installed. Hasd to adjust them and ghetto rig last night to drive, so we'll see
OK, Sounds good. Welcome to beautiful Virginia.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement