V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

Default Protection

There isn't exactly a forum on here that deals specifically with alarms so I figured I'd post here, especially because I mainly wanna hear from the 94-04 guys/gals.

What do you use to protect your baby? I have hard my car simply protected by the stock PATS system and the "club" (yea I know, w/e). But having started to mod the car, I know that I'm attracting not only the good attention, but I'm sure, the as well.

So what do you guys used/recommend as a little something extra?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM
green232
1st Gear Member

the stock alarm isnt going to do very much, look around at different types of alarms, viper, clifford, etc.. also, when going in and out of a parking lot/neighborhood or busy area, dont turn the stereo up, or draw attention to yourself, makes a lot better chance no one will mess with it.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
blackburninator
1st Gear Member

My kenwood head unit detaches from the base and goes into the glove box. I always lock it up when I have to park in the more dangerous parts of town..

Don't know if that helps much..
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
99VSixer

Get a Viper security system. They can run from anywhere from a few hundred dollars to up to close to a thousand depending on how many features you want. (Remote Start, Rolling Windows Down/Up with remote, Turning the Heater/AC on with remote, Tracking System, etc) They are completely worth it and I love mine. The Stock Security system is pathetic. I had my car broken into with that "security" with my car parked right in front of my window and never heard a thing. Went out the next day and my car was unlocked with my DVD flip out in in the dash ripped out.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM
nativenyerintexas
1st Gear Member

http://www.scytek.net/astra.php?pic=.../astra_777.php

I have this alarm with a tilt option (in case someone tried to steel my wheels), with the trunk accessory turned on. I don't have the remote starter option since it's just a 'cool' factor option in my opinion and was told it can/might cause issues with the key chip system. I also have the anti-hijack option enabled but only to make a lot of noise, not to shut the car down. Then I have a LoJack installed as well. LoJack says to change the batteries in the keyfob every six months but in almost two years, the batteries still are doing what they're supposed to do. Then, I have all five windows tinted. The three back windows are 20% (the darkest you can have here in Texas) and the two door windows are 35%. That makes it harder for people to see in the car, especially in the back seat. And lastly, I have a stereo that you can pull the face off and when I go somewhere questionable, I pull the face off and pop it in the door pocket, where no one can see it. One thing the police tell us around here is 'don't leave ANYTHING in your car that can seed seen, either hide it or take it with you'. The reason I got the LoJack is around here, they don't really go around stealing cars by breaking into them and driving them away, they tow them. It takes an experienced guy with a tow hitch less than 30 seconds to steal your car. Another thing you can do is when you park somewhere, always turn your steering wheel to the curb or if in a parking lot, turn it to the opposite side in which you pulled in and don't back into a parking spot in a lot. That makes things a lot harder for those guys that will tow your car. Ultimately all you can do is make it more difficult for people to take your ride. If they see nothing in the car, then they'll probably move on to another target. But if they want your car bad enough, they'll get it.

Last edited by nativenyerintexas; 03-09-2012 at 07:23 AM.