V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Purchasing a 2002 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM
ambitionist

Default Purchasing a 2002 Mustang V6

Hey

Im lookin to purchase a mustang, i found a 2002 with 130K, 1 Owner, but he has it looking fully like a GT, what are some things i should be concerned about? He said he took good care of it... Carfax was 500$ above, im offering 4K, any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 PM
ambitionist

maintenance check points? what to inspect?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I’d plug in an OBD-II code reader and make sure there are no codes set (especially P1000). Just because the light isn’t on doesn’t mean there are no codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free. You can also buy one from the same auto parts stores that includes a Live Data feature so you can see how the car is running from the computers point of view. Pay close attention to the short term & long term fuel trim numbers. If you add the short & long term for bank 1 up, it should be within the range of -10% & 10%. Same with bank 2. If it is outside that range then the car is running too rich (negative number) or too lean (positive number).

If the car is not currently registered and your state/county requires emissions testing, take the car to get its emissions tested. If it fails, you know why its not registered and you should walk away from the car.

Check the condition of the tires. If they are worn unevenly it might need an alignment and/or new shocks or he drove it with too low tire pressure which is an indication of his maintenance habits.

I would also check all the fluid levels and condition. Above all, take it for a drive around town and on the highway with the radio off so you can hear any unusual noises.

Good luck...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I say save the money and evacuate Detroit as fast as possible, but that's just me
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
ambitionist

Thanks for the reply petrock, im gonna go check the car out tomorrow, its about 2-3 hours away but especially with being the original owner, car fax is clean and he sent me a video as well, sounds nice, and looks clean....

lol, detroit is done for, but i live about an hour away from there, Ann Arbor, hopefully they can rebuild but can never lose pride in ya home town currently...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

2-3 hours to look at a car? I can only do an hour tops. It must look sweet.

The wife had a 1999 v6 auto. Check for rearend whine. The rearend on hers went out at 80k miles. Way to early, but being out of warranty what can you do? Never was driven hard either, since it was hers and I wasn't in the picture until later. I drove it a little when I moved over, it had some punch I did not expect. Waxed a v6 charger with it on the way back from the dallas auto show from a dig. That was unexpected, and awesome at the same time.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
darkpony04
2nd Gear Member

You could learn from my mistakes and buy an okay gt for that price if you have the money for insurance and such. If don't then I would look around some more. 130k is getting up there
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
I’d plug in an OBD-II code reader and make sure there are no codes set (especially P1000). Just because the light isn’t on doesn’t mean there are no codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free. You can also buy one from the same auto parts stores that includes a Live Data feature so you can see how the car is running from the computers point of view. Pay close attention to the short term & long term fuel trim numbers. If you add the short & long term for bank 1 up, it should be within the range of -10% & 10%. Same with bank 2. If it is outside that range then the car is running too rich (negative number) or too lean (positive number).

If the car is not currently registered and your state/county requires emissions testing, take the car to get its emissions tested. If it fails, you know why its not registered and you should walk away from the car.

Check the condition of the tires. If they are worn unevenly it might need an alignment and/or new shocks or he drove it with too low tire pressure which is an indication of his maintenance habits.

I would also check all the fluid levels and condition. Above all, take it for a drive around town and on the highway with the radio off so you can hear any unusual noises.

Good luck...

dam, thats good advice! i usually just check for leaks and unusual noises.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That list should be ingrained in anyone's head buying a used car. Went to look at a car once and the dude wouldn't let me drive it and kept the radio turned up high the whole time. I walked.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Price-wise I use Kelly Blue Book private party price, KBB.com With that many miles, listen for knocking coming from the engine. Make sure the clutch releases smoothly. listen for squeaks and knocking from your suspension. That said, I have a '99 and '03 with 135-140K miles. both run well and are great fun to drive!
Good luck!