V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

SR Performance Exhaust Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Default SR Performance Exhaust Mini Review

Ok everyone, I wanted to wait until I drove my car a bit before I typed this up.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-catback-9904gt.html

I ordered my Exhaust kit for my 04 40th Anniversary, along with the Pacesetter H-Pipe. I had a local shop do the install for me as the owner of the shop (who is also a Mustang guy with a Fox body 4 cylinder) had the tools and a proper lift to do the work.

Anywho, he showed me what he did and didn't like about the kit itself. The piping seemed to be simple steel pipe and not aluminized. He had a concern that the pipes will likely rust over time here in Pennsylvania winters. He also was worried that the pipes had a clearance issue over the axle and the underside. He had to do a double take and make the adjustments needed for the proper clearance. The tail pipes included are fairly basic pipe, and not rounded like on Flowmaster or Magnaflow systems.

The exhaust mounted up to the Pacesetter perfectly with no issues, and looked great fully assembled. The Install itself went pretty straight forward (other than the clearance issue). He agreed with me that for the price I paid for the system itself, it was damn near a steal.

As for running the car with it, The car has a good bit more giddy up (pun intended lol). It accelerates better than before and has literally no rasp to the exhaust. The sound is like that of a GT at idle, and low RPMs. The only caveat is that the mufflers aren't too much louder than stock mufflers. They have plenty of deep tone, but very little volume at idle or driving. My mother has an 07 convertible sixer with a single Flowmaster Super 44, and it sounds significantly louder than mine with true duals (a fact that she made sure to rub in lol). The mufflers have gotten a little louder as I've been running the car but not a whole lot. I do hope this changes over the summer as I run the car more.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the exhaust for what I spent on it, the Pacesetter, and overall installation at $120. It seems to be a good system for those of us on a budget.