V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2001 Mustang Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 AM
e,quick

Question 2001 Mustang Transmission Question

Hello,

I am needing an opinion on this 2001 mustang that I recently purchased for $500. The seller informed me that the vehicle had transmission issues, and when I purchased the vehicle it was not running. I was able to get the vehicle going by replacing a deteriorated and corroded water pump. Engine sounds good and pressure in valves are still good. My question if anyone can chime in is once I got the vehicle running it would shift into reverse but when in drive the vehicle would just rev up like it was in neutral (this was in all of the drive gears). I got all excited to pull the transmission and when I removed the pan there was hardly any fluid in the pan, I know it was a bone head move and I should of checked the fluid before beginning to remove the transmission but since the prior owner had mentioned the transmission was bad I jumped ahead of myself. I have the transmission half way out at this point and beginning to question if I should put everything back together put in a new filter and fill it with fluid to see if it will fix anything, as with the water pump not being maintained I am sure the transmission was in the same boat. Can anyone provide me with any experiences they have had with this year transmission or if I should just go ahead and have it rebuilt. I know I am rambling but basically would it be worth it to put it all back together and see if the filter and fluid fix the issue or does the vehicle not moving in drive basically mean the disc are stuck together or maybe even the torque converter is bad lol see my mind is all over the place. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading and may God bless you.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

That might fix it. But if it was me Id take it on out and take it to a shop for a check up.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Running the transmission with "hardly any fluid" gives me NO confidence that it's okay. Putting it back together is probably a waste of time and Mercon V.