V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Weird honk

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Mat Shuster

Default Weird honk

Hey! New to this forum, so I think I'm in the right place for this question. I have been looking all over and cannot find any sort of answer.

I have a 2000 3.8L and it is honking when I push my clutch in about half way. At first I thought it might be the clock spring, but then when I realized it only did it when my clutch was pushed in it made me think it might be something else. I have also removed the horn fuse. Still does it.

Does anyone have any slightest clue what this problem might be?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Sounds like someone's been tampering with the wiring. If it's no longer wired up the way it was from the factory, then we're not going to be able to tell you exactly where to look. But you've piqued my interest, so let's see what we can come up with.

What you're going to have to do is locate the horn (stock horns behind L fender, or wherever they might have installed aftermarket ones), and work backwards from there. Keep an eye out for wiring that doesn't look factory. We already know that it doesn't pass through the horn fuse, so it probably bypasses the fuse box altogether, and should stick out like a sore thumb.

Does the horn work normally via the switch on the steering wheel, or alarm system?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Mat Shuster

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome!

Sounds like someone's been tampering with the wiring. If it's no longer wired up the way it was from the factory, then we're not going to be able to tell you exactly where to look. But you've piqued my interest, so let's see what we can come up with.

What you're going to have to do is locate the horn (stock horns behind L fender, or wherever they might have installed aftermarket ones), and work backwards from there. Keep an eye out for wiring that doesn't look factory. We already know that it doesn't pass through the horn fuse, so it probably bypasses the fuse box altogether, and should stick out like a sore thumb.

Does the horn work normally via the switch on the steering wheel, or alarm system?
So I have owned the car for 9 years and the only wiring that's been done is a stereo system. I don't have an alarm system either. The car was only owned by one person previously and hadn't done anything to the car.

yes, the steering wheel switch works though. I didn't know if the clutch peddle could have rubbed through something causing a ground or something.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it couldn't hurt to take a look at the pedal assembly and see if it's interfering with any wires...

But it still bothers me to hear that the horn is actually receiving power without its fuse in place. That fuse is supposed to be what supplies feed power to the horn relay, and then the horns are downstream of that.

Strictly speaking, the problem that you're experiencing is likely due to something goofy in the switch side of the horn circuit. But that fuse issue tells me that the power side has been messed with. That's why I think it's in your best interest to get behind the fender and backtrack from there.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Id get up under the steering column and dash and start moving the wire looms around. It sounds like you have something that is crossing over momentarily and feeding power to the horn when you press the clutch, could be a wire loom that is rubbed through up there. Look closely around the pedal assembly and wiring that feeds the clutch interlock switch, and all the wiring from the steering column down.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Mat Shuster

So I have removed the wires from the horn temporarily so that I can drive normally.

I'm going to continue to look for the source though in the meantime. Something else that made me think it was the clock spring in the steering column, is that my airbag light has come on and turned off just like 2 times over 3 weeks or so while driving, could there be any issues with that?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Hm. Yeah, a worn clockspring could affect the horn circuit, but not in a way that would allow the clutch pedal to activate it. Nor would it bypass the fuse panel to power the horns.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Not sure on the airbag light but unhooking the horn wont hurt anything. I had a 85 Trans-Am that in colder months when you first started and turned the steering wheel it would honk the horn like honkhohohonkhonl beepbeebepbepbeep...really annoying. After about a mile or so it would warm up and stop. never did it in summer either.