V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

rpmoutlet & 42% ud pulley ponderings

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default rpmoutlet & 42% ud pulley ponderings

well I know you guys (and gals) are gonna have fun reading this. After spending time looking for a pulley kit and asking for opinions I got 2 kinds of info. either everyone told me get ASP 25% or how bad RPM outlet sucked. There were all these horror stories, but none of them had much warrant. Heard the website sucked, poor customer service, trouble getting refund, etc. Not one person could tell me about the quality of the product itself. So, I decided to risk my $210 and do a (real world guinea-pig test) shall we say. My criteria was this, I wanted an entire kit that contained 1. the UD pulley 2. new harmonic balancer & 3. new proper size belt. Whether or not it came with a new water pump or alternator pulley didn't matter to me. I did the smart thing and called to place my order. It was 199 plus 10 handling charge(free shipping). I was told I would get a confirmation and tracking email by the next day. I didn't. I called the phone number and spoke with a guy named george. He said he would send it right over. He did. I clicked on it and no track info(ups) was available. I thought maybe just hadn't transmitted info yet. Gave it 48 hrs. Still nothing. I called george back and had him pull it up. Ends up the water pump pulley part was on back order and the guy who took my order didn't tell me. That didn't make me super happy but I can understand how some operator in his excitement to earn his commission would omit that info to push the sale through. A forgivable offense in my book. George told me they should have more within 7 days(they custom fab them down the street) and asked if I wanted a refund or would like to wait. I waited. 8 days later I called back and george's line was busy for hours. I finally called the main line and talked to a lady. I told her I couldn't get through to customer service and asked if she could help me. She did. She pulled it up and told me my kit would ship out on wednesday. It did. Got it at my house and it looked great. new harmonic balancer(ford OE) both pulleys made from single ingots of aluminum, new goodyear gatorback belt. Packed very well. Instructions were good. Did the install myself in 2 hours. could've done it faster, but between going to autozone to get grease and beer runs, took and extra 45min. It works wonderful. The difference is immediately noticed. Idles better, accelerates more like a v8(doesn't feel like it's struggling anymore). Temp gauge hasn't moved at all. I would say that it is quieter. Some of you like the rumble, but I don't care. Noise doesn't equal speed ya know. So, aside from the brief moment of fear due to a little miscommunication and the over-analyzation by me brought on by listening to heresay. I would say I am extremely happy and I recommend rpmoutlet for this kit.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: rpmoutlet & 42% ud pulley ponderings

your patience paid off, although I think anyone in the business of online sales needs to do better than they did you. I would not have exercised the patience and running-down the order like you did. So really: many of the others who may have experienced what you did would have reported their experience as shtty customer service, would have likely flown off the handle, and made everyone mad and not get their order or get a refund. Don't you agree its a matter of perspective?

Sure its not a "horror" story, but just the fact they fcked up and you had to do so much follow up on just an ordinary order turns people off, and they are likely to take their business elsewhere even for a couple dollars more just so they don't have to put up with chasing sht down, calling a bunch of folks, and doing the vendor's job for them.

And, hey, I'm glad your install went well. I've done the azone and beer runs too, I can relate to that!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well just be happy you got in touch with them, I'll well beyond the point of ordering anything from them again, thank god they don't sell 5.0 stuff.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Shortnewyorkan

I didn't have much of a problem with rpmoutlet either. The only irritating part of the company is that they don't inform you before hand about products on back order. Other than that i havn't faced the problem of no one answering the phone. Although it would be much easier if they replied to emails and their return policy is a lil strict.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
3.8_Special
2nd Gear Member

42%... Does that mean the pully (the one coming off the crank?) is 42% larger or smaller?

And what style is your car? does your car require the pully that it attached to the harmonic balancer or is it seperate?

Im churious, I thinkI will make one within the next few months.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

42% smaller, just don't plan to run a large stereo system with it, because you'll drain your battery quicker than you can say, damnmit, youdumbass.[8D]

In any since 42% is OK for nearly stock cars stereo wise, but get into the larger stuff/higher power needs for perfomance and you're screwed. I always recommend the 24% ASP pulley.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
freewilly05
2nd Gear Member

that great! i never had problems with rpmoutlet myself i always chose ground shipping and it always got here like next day or next 2 days but i live likr 30 min away from them so that might be y
Old 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

not sure how "big" a stereo you guys are running, but I have a 1000w kenwood amp pushing a sub and see no problems. I do have a really big new gold top battery, so that might be it. I guess I'm just kinda old school in the fact that I'm a weekend shadetree mechanic and i don't mind being patient and waiting for things. Plus, I figured if I really wanted gains, I would go for the bigger amount of underdrive. I mean come on, 24%, who actually gets excited about that number? Would you be happy if blackjack paid 24% on bets?