V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

New to MF, looking for car advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Lorraine

Default New to MF, looking for car advice

Hello!

I didn't want to post in the wrong spot so I thought the newbie thread would be the best bet (because I'm a newbie). I've wanted a mustang for years, and I can finally afford one, but when push comes to shove, I'm a little nervous about my first buy. This will be my first car payment, so it's a big step for me - my current car is a '99 Plymouth voyager which was a gift from dad. Because this will be my first car purchase, I'm looking for some good advice before I make the plunge. I was hoping some enthusiasts out there might know something about what I'm getting into =)

The car I'm looking at is a bright yellow 2004 mustang convertible with a V6 engine right at $9,000. It looks like it has been well maintained - it has a little bit of paint peeling, but other than that, I don't see any problems. It has about 70,000 miles racked up. It's the 40th anniversary edition. The car fax shows one accident which was a very minor fender bender. I really love the car, but...

I'm mostly concerned about how low the car is to the ground. I'm used to driving a minivan and have been fairly careless about hitting curbs and taking bumps at a high speed. I'm also concerned about the fact that it's a convertible and if there tends to be wind noise and if I can expect the canvas to last... and my dad is concerned about safety if the car rolls over in an accident. I'm also concerned about the engine - it looks good and seems to run well, but I'm wondering if I should have it checked out with a mechanic just to be safe. I'm also extremely nervous because the car salesman is really pressuring me to buy the car right now, and I feel like I might be getting ripped off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, ya'll! =)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Cross_X
1st Gear Member

If I were you, I wouldn't rush here: this isn't the last 2004 convertible in the world.
You don't owe anybody anything, and just forget about the pressure. If he persists, I'd point him to who's the customer, and who's the one who makes the decision. Yes, the price's good, but don't rush anyway.
First, you need to have the engine checked, I'd say you must check the engine before buying. My friend got a car last year and he didn't do it, and his vehicle eats 1 quart of oil for 1000 miles, and that's really bad.
Safety of the convertibles is ok, as they make some parts more stronger than they do with coupes, so it's not like it's the same.
I think being careless with bumps is bad for all cars, but with the lower ones it might also make you leave your bumper(s) behind..-) Just think it over. I have a Land Cruiser, and that thing can go over a speed bump at 60mph without any significant damage to you and your comfort and the vehicle itself. Was I doing it? No. I like what I have, and I'd rather let the suspension live its life and not shorten it in half by my careless behavior.
PS I think if you're not tied to a convertible, you might look at the next generation coupe ('05). Something tells me that it's possible to find a good vehicle for that price.Of course, you'll have to bargain, but it might be well worth the deal.
Hope smth of the above will be of any help
Old 11-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Don't buy it. Thats overprices. for $7,000 for our cars it should not have any accidents, peeling paint, or over 75,000 miles. I understand the excitment finding your first potential mustang and car purchase in general but keep looking, you'll be happier in the long run. I would look for a 5 speed with the mach audio system as well. But thats just me if I had to do it again. Keep looking and stick around if you want to learn about mustangs.

In general, our 3.8's are very reliable and only have one common problem which is the a/c leaking on the passenger side exhaust manifold which causes it to crack. $300 for upgraded headers. I can't say that the convertible is going to be safe in a rollover, but don't drive retardely and it won't roll over lol. I have a vert and its lowered 1.5 inches from stock and you do have to watch for speed bumps and stuff but its perfectly fine as a daily driver.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

First off, does it have the 3.9 liter or the 3.8 liter? Both were in the 2004's

The price is ok for it but i would never pay that much. Are you completely stuck on a V6? Because 9000, even 8000 can get you a same mileage GT.

And if the salesperson is really pressuring you to sell it, then he wants it gone for some reason other than making a sale. Don't get suckered in to it, just take your time....keep looking and when you find the perfect one you'll know it. I bought my first mustang in april of 08, it was an 01 V6. I loved it BUT there was something bout it i didn't like and i knew that from the time i bought it. In May of 09 i was looking for a new car and came across the one i have now, I KNEW right away that it was the right one.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Yeah you could get a GT for $8,000...but I still say get the V6
Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaunmac9128
Yeah you could get a GT for $8,000...but I still say get the V6
And i guess since she'll be doin payments, the lower the better. Cuz you and i both know that a new edge V6 should never sell for 8
Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Lorraine

It's a 3.8 liter.

I really appreciate the advice. I do really love the car and don't mind the price, but I feel a lot better about waiting this one out now. I may go ahead and get the car inspected by a local mechanic, but I probably won't buy the car simply because I don't appreciate the salesman treating me like fresh meat, and my instincts tell me not to trust the deal based on his behavior.

Also, I just remembered that the engine made a knocking sound when I started it, and the salesman said this is typical of mustangs. I've never heard that before. But I also do not drive a mustang - is this normal?

Thanks for helping reign in my enthusiasm. I think I'm going to spend a few weekends looking at and test driving more mustangs so I get a better idea of what I'm looking for. I've always wanted a mustang, but, unfortunately, I realize I have more to learn about dealing with cars and car salesmen before I sign any contracts.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

the salesperson sees it as, once you leave his lot, he probably lost the sale. He knows that the price is high and is afraid you will go somewhere else to get it. Like posted above, it is not the only 2004 Mustang and he knows that.

And no, the knocking is not normal. I have seen them go a hundred thousand miles after a knock but, you still don't want that. They pointed it out to the person that traded it in and gave next to nothing for the car. He would probably come down a lot if you pointed it out but, don't buy it.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 11-29-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Like I said, I would seriously keep looking and trust your instinct. If you don't mind spending $7,000 then you should be able to find a 99-04 V6 with low miles (under 70,000), the mach 460 sound system, the better 16 inch wheels (as opposed to the 15's offered) and all the options and no accidents for that much. Like I said, if I could do it again I would have waited longer and found a 5 speed with the Mach system. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

The accident alone is a deal breaker for me, and with the knock going on, definitely move on. With our economy in shambles, you can get a great car for a better price, shop around and go with your first impression, it's usually spot on. GL

Quick Reply: New to MF, looking for car advice