Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

do the cats stay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: do the cats stay?

ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

Here's something for thought:
Maybe you could hollow out the cats, leaving there "shell" in place but drilling out the material inside. It's basically a big chunk of honeycomb like material. If you removed that no one would ever know by looking. (Of course you would have to disable the O2 sensors)

Of course this is just a thought, might not really work. But, I can't really see why it wouldn't.
that was my thought exactly!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

Here's something for thought:
Maybe you could hollow out the cats, leaving there "shell" in place but drilling out the material inside. It's basically a big chunk of honeycomb like material. If you removed that no one would ever know by looking. (Of course you would have to disable the O2 sensors)

Of course this is just a thought, might not really work. But, I can't really see why it wouldn't.
Basically what you can do is take off the cats, take a metal rod, and ram the crap out of the insides of them, and then put them back on. You have "cats on the car", but all they are is just a shell, like you said.

If you ever get emissions tested though you're screwed. My friend has a Jeep that he did this exact same thing to. Yes, it does make the exhaust note deeper, but YOU CAN SMELL THE EXHAUST EASILY AND IT STINKS BAD. if you ever got into any kind of trouble you would be discovered quickly!! His jeep is a v6, and it sounds pretty deep, but like i said, it smells bad.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You'll only have to worry about E test in states like Cali, and a handful of others, but if your state doesn't eforce it, then my vote is no cats as it will give your car a deeper tone that is quite noticible over cated systems, but you will loose low end hp and torque because of too much air flow and not enough backpressure, but upper end torqe and hp gains will be about the same. My vote is an off road x pipe with magnaflow or borla GT cats if you want an excellent sound.[8D]
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

You're not the only one. I think that it is a federal offense (felony?) to dismantle or discard a smog control device on a vehicle driven on a public highway (plated). Mine has cats.
My old installer (who moved out of state, darnit!) told me... sometimes a screwdriver slips and punctures a cat and they have to be replaced. "Accidents" like that happen. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

You're not the only one. I think that it is a federal offense (felony?) to dismantle or discard a smog control device on a vehicle driven on a public highway (plated). Mine has cats.
My old installer (who moved out of state, darnit!) told me... sometimes a screwdriver slips and punctures a cat and they have to be replaced. "Accidents" like that happen. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
yeah, hands get greasy and slippery when workin on cars LOL, I like the sound of my cheap Magnoflows WITH THE CATS, and dont think i'll have any probs with CA smog test, information is always changin, thought I would ask the question