Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DYNAMAT ALTERNATIVE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 AM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DYNAMAT ALTERNATIVE!!!!!

Good work! Saving people a lot of dough!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:01 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

picked some up at lowes today. let you know my results sometime this weekend.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

It is indeed very close to Dynamat / Fat mat / Brown Bread etc.
The stuff from lowes is actually made for roofing. It works great for sound deadening BUT if it is installed on a vertical surface it will fall. It is simply not sticky enough.
Flat areas - trunk, floorboards, etc it is fine.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

SOLDSHORT- be sure to pop off the black cover that covers the trunk light and third break light as well. There is a hole around the third break light that I would reccomend covering up.

The stuff isn't very sticky as Steven6095 mentioned but sticks fine to horizontal surfaces as he also mentioned, which includes the trunk lid.

I was confused about the lack of adhesive, as you might be also, but mine sticks just as well as the day I put it on, and if you accidentally stick it in the wrong area, as I did a couple times lol you will find that it is actually a little difficult to get off!

Hope it works great for you also!

Old 03-25-2006, 02:13 AM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nicarc369

SOLDSHORT- be sure to pop off the black cover that covers the trunk light and third break light as well. There is a hole around the third break light that I would reccomend covering up.

The stuff isn't very sticky as Steven6095 mentioned but sticks fine to horizontal surfaces as he also mentioned, which includes the trunk lid.

I was confused about the lack of adhesive, as you might be also, but mine sticks just as well as the day I put it on, and if you accidentally stick it in the wrong area, as I did a couple times lol you will find that it is actually a little difficult to get off!

Hope it works great for you also!

thanks for the tip. I started on the trunk lid and got about 3/4 done then had to go to school. I could tell the difference already and actually we use the same type of stuff at work for sinks as sound deadeners. i never tried it on the car because they are 4" x 2" strips! haha.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Folks,

Before everyone runs out to get this stuff, you might want to read up on some research Don Sambrook did with sound deadeners. He has an excellent site that helps to put you in a position to make an informed decision. Check out:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

There's even specific reference to Peel & Seal, so it's worth a look. For some people (stress the "some"), this sounds like it might be a viable alternative one could get excited about, but for many (myself included, living in the Midwest) I think it warrants a sober decision.

I thought I would add a quote from the author's conclusion:

"If you really need to do this in the absolutely least expensive way and are not convinced or concerned by the demonstrated inferiority of asphalt based sound deadeners, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a roll or two of Peel & Seal. This is the least expensive option and you won't have to worry about shipping costs. I can see no difference in Peel & Seal and the asphalt based aluminum skinned products in this review."

Note: the asphalt based products in his review include the ORIGINAL Dynamat. But as you'll find out, many of the companies in this industry have upgraded their products in substantive ways, and this includes Dynamat (cf. Dynamat Xtreme).

Best,
-j
Old 03-25-2006, 07:14 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Good find and I agree with a lot of what he says, buuuut lol.

This explains why some people have had success with asphalt mats for a few years, only to have them fail in a subsequent year. Failure can be disastrous. If you're lucky, the mat will just fall off. If you're not, it will melt - pools of asphalt in your carpet or upholstery or window mechanism.
I very seriously doubt however that in normal weather the asphalt will melt completly (I live in the desert, our winters are even 80 degrees and I havent had any problems LOL), and you can find negatives toward using any type of sound deadener such as the smell, it falling, too sticky etc.

Not only that but I would NOT use this for my whole car, EVER! What he based a lot of his decisions on were if you did the doors, all of the trunk, floor etc. which I would not do and wouldn't suggest anyone doing. I bought this instead of Dynamat beacuse I knew that I could put it in a safe area that I could monitor and see if anything wasn't right and could easily take down if I didn't like it. I would not put this under carpet etc. without fully 100% knowing that it would work right, and even then, if I had to do the whole car I would go with somthing more well known, such as Dynamat.

As for the trunk lid and some other areas of the trunk here and there it works great! I haven't had any problems, don't think I will, and used this because it was in a very easy area to watch and change if I needed. The trunk lid was all I needed a sound deadener on and for $13 it is a great alternative for small areas such as the trunk lid.

Last, If I get a year or two out of this stuff that would be great!

This explains why some people have had success with asphalt mats for a few years, only to have them fail in a subsequent year.

I have always planned on buying dynamat but Im in school and would much rather put the $300 that it would have cost to dynamat my trunk into something else for the time being. For such a small area I think peel and seal is a great find!

SOLDSHORT- What I did after I had one layer on was turn the subs on and push on areas that still rattled. If the rattle stopped I doubled up on the product in the area and it went away. Just a lil tip I learned lol. And also make sure to cover ALL of the holes. Also I used a hairdryer and the handle edge of a screwdriver to make it easier to mold in the square holes and around other areas.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:51 PM
biggs0279

Nicarc thanks a lot for this great alternative to Dynamat. My trunk barely even makes a noise now but has anyone had trouble with a rattle coming from under the car? It seems like somewhere under the spare tire between the black cover on the bottom of it that a noisy rattle is taking place. I cant target the exact location so if anyone had this rattle it would be great to know how to fix it.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

YES! and I don't know haw to make it go away!

Glad to hear it worked for you also!

I think it might be the light bulbs or something in the reflector things on the side of the bumper.

Quick Reply: DYNAMAT ALTERNATIVE!!!!!