Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TQ Converter for Auto V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TQ Converter for Auto V6

quick question.
if you get a new torque converter will you have to rev it higher at lights? that would really sick tohave to goto 300 just to get er goin!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I found this torque convertor on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCI-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

yeah if you have a certain rpm stall speed.. yuo wouldnt start rolling untill that rpm... it sounds cool, but it makes your car really hard on gas! and its not that yuor rev it.. just apply gas gradually like you would normally driving.. and once you hit hte stall speed you start to creep forward.. also your not going to "launch" unless you nearly have your foot to the floor, like if you would be racing.. you can still coast and stuff

btw the t/c will be wicked for those with auto that take their cars to the track often!! cudos to php for coming out with one
Old 04-22-2006, 09:46 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Maybe someone will make a switch-pitch converter for the Mustang.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

yeah if you have a certain rpm stall speed.. yuo wouldnt start rolling untill that rpm... it sounds cool, but it makes your car really hard on gas! and its not that yuor rev it.. just apply gas gradually like you would normally driving.. and once you hit hte stall speed you start to creep forward.. also your not going to "launch" unless you nearly have your foot to the floor, like if you would be racing.. you can still coast and stuff

btw the t/c will be wicked for those with auto that take their cars to the track often!! cudos to php for coming out with one
well... i don't think that's 100% accurate... if I put my car in drive and let off the brake the car will start rolling at idle... which on my car is like 850... So my car is moving well below the stall RPM... Stall RPM doesn't mean the car won't move until then... it means the engine can't rev any higher with out the wheels turning...

There are different definitions for "stall". Here's a pretty good article:

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/80098/

Our stock convertor appears to be around stall around 2400... what a 3000 RPM stall TC would do is allow you to power brake to a higher RPM so when you launch you are launching more in the powerband...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I found this torque convertor on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCI-S...QQcmdZViewItem

won't work in the V6... while the V6 and the GT share the same model auto tranny they are not 100% identical... so a GT TC will not work on a V6...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: scrming

well... i don't think that's 100% accurate... if I put my car in drive and let off the brake the car will start rolling at idle... which on my car is like 850... So my car is moving well below the stall RPM... Stall RPM doesn't mean the car won't move until then... it means the engine can't rev any higher with out the wheels turning...

Our stock convertor appears to be around stall around 2400... what a 3000 RPM stall TC would do is allow you to power brake to a higher RPM so when you launch you are launching more in the powerband...
So it shouldn't adversely affect day to day driving?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimp

ORIGINAL: scrming

So it shouldn't adversely affect day to day driving?
I think with a 3000 stall it would be fine for day to day driving... basically i think what will happen is say you hit the gas hard off the stop light... right now your tach should jump up to 2600 RPM or so... maybe a little less... maybe 2400... I'ld go try it myself but... LOL!

Anyways with the new TC, when you hit the gas the tach should jump up a bit more, in theory to 3000 RPM... which put your car more in the powerband...

I think with a 3000 stall you'ld be very happy on the street... now if it was like 4500+... that might be a different story! LOL!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

well at a low rpm the impellar is still trying to rotate due to the current of the ATF in the tc, your foot on the brake is more friction relative to the torque being produced in the tc to get you moving.. so instead of rolling you stay still. take your footoff the brake there is a lack of friction (which i know you already know.. [just explaining for the ones left inthe clouds]) the energy produced at idle is still enough to get you rolling

essentially if your foot is on the brake shes not really gonna try hard to start moving untill 3k its still gonna try.. but chances are your car will start to pull forward even with your brake pedal engaged