Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5 speed hard to shift to reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 5 speed hard to shift to reverse?

In the manual it says to let it sit in Nutrual for 3 seconds and move the stick to the left(which is 1st & 2nd) then try and go into reverse. Or I know its something similar like that. If you do that its a lot easer. It won't let you just go straight into reverse with out giving a fight, everyone who has driven a manual should know that. Going into reverse is always ruff. We have manuals!!!! It never was smooth in my 85 Camaro nor in my dads 85 mustang and I didn't expect it nor does it suprise me in the 05 - 63786247 lol I feel its pretty much normal for manual's to do that no matter how new the car is. kinda like when you shift into your gears when your car is not running and you can hear all of them engage underneath the car. It's just normal all manual's do it. Thats why some people pay the extra for an Auto. lol who knows
Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

just sucks after driving a 06 gt where u can shift with ur pinky finger to the v6 where the clutch makes loud noises, the shifter SUCKS compared to the gt's tight shifts and reverse is real tight... but i get over it when im cruising

Paul
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Why in the hell would you trade in a GT for a V6!!!!!? if ya don't mind me asking. I would die to be able to afford a V8 engine and lesuirely be able to afford the gas & insurence at the same time. I haft to agree with the V6 clutch though, it is loud. I would also probobly haft to agree that going to a GT to a V6 would suck. lol but I've never owned a GT so I don't know
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

i usually dont ever have a problem getting it into reverse. put it in first then go reverse and there ya go. lol
Old 05-02-2006, 12:39 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

lol
Old 05-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Blueeyes

ORIGINAL: thatstang

I spoke to the local Ford mechanic about this and he states that its a common thing on our Mustangs since we have a T5 trany. To get around it we have to shift to 3rd and right away shift to reverse. Something about synchronizing, I am not too clear on the internal :-)
I have same issue in the morning when backing out of my drivay but it seems to be getting easier at 1500miles.
I tried third to reverse today and it helped alot.

There is a reverse lockout from 5th to reverse. Maybe that's getting in the way in some cases.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

Why in the hell would you trade in a GT for a V6!!!!!? if ya don't mind me asking. I would die to be able to afford a V8 engine and lesuirely be able to afford the gas & insurence at the same time. I haft to agree with the V6 clutch though, it is loud. I would also probobly haft to agree that going to a GT to a V6 would suck. lol but I've never owned a GT so I don't know
hehe, i never owned a 06 gt, my bro in law has one, we bought the 2 mustangs on the same day and we drive each others cars from time to time. Is there ANYTHING we can do to quieten down that clutch? and make the shifts more positive? the gt just goes straight in, its feels comfortable and u know its in gear, with the v6 its like i push the gear lever untill it stops! know what i mean?

Paul
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

why do our cars clunk so much when taking off in 1st gear? I've driven a lot of cars and this one feels like something is loose in transmission when taking off even though everything seems right.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Here is what Ford told me when I took my car in for he noisy clutch (that clunking noise) here we go!! lol

k This is exactly what ford typed up

Customer states the clutch makes a clicking noise when releasing the pedal.
Need to overhaul Trans to INSP
Some 2005 Mustang equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a clunk noise from the driveline during gear change and/or a quick accleeration after coasting (tip - in clunk).
The clunk may be present in muiltple gears and is sonsidered a normal characteristic caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened, The clunk noisehas no effect on the performance or durabitlity of the vehicle.

R & R trans and mount on bencg fixture and over haul to replace first gear and mainshaft becasue of excessive gear play between gear & syncro. Assy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
R&R clutch assy and insp. and repolace clutch disc because of worn center spring tension to inputshaft of trans
Road test ok in all gears,

They had my car for about 2 week and my tranny was on the floor for that one!! lol It still makes all the noises you guys are talking about too. I think its just normal. If anyone knows different TSB wise let us know!!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

hehe, i never owned a 06 gt, my bro in law has one, we bought the 2 mustangs on the same day and we drive each others cars from time to time. Is there ANYTHING we can do to quieten down that clutch? and make the shifts more positive? the gt just goes straight in, its feels comfortable and u know its in gear, with the v6 its like i push the gear lever untill it stops! know what i mean?

Paul
[/quote]
I don't really know what your saying. get a shifter but makes sure it replaces the whole Tri - Arm and that shold solve it. Hell since you so bent on the GT get that Hurst shifter that they are putting in the Shelby GT's of 07 ( I think the shelby, don't everyone bash me at once if im wrong though lol)