Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who installed your ProCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:36 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Who installed your ProCharger?

I am thinking of going the super charger route.... for those of you who have one, who installed it? I have a fair amount of mechanical/car skill, but I think this might be beyond me. Does somebody like Evolution Performance install them? What is a reasonable installation cost.

A couple more questions

1. Can you run them without an intercooler? How much power do you lose with say, a 9 psi boost?
2. What is the general understanding with a super charger on a V6... can the V6 take the stress in the long run? Or is it pretty much understood that after 20,000 mile of supercharging, you can expect major engine trouble/rebuild. Is there a mode you can run a supercharger in (i.e. low 7 psi boost) that will give you a good possibility of 50,000 miles of life.

Sorry if this is asked before, I checked the faqs and did not see an answer.

I am sort of assuming from my reading here that ProCharger is the way to go?????
Old 05-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Who installed your ProCharger?

You wont lose any power with a 7psi or 9psi boost, your gaining intercooled or not...

Either boost is safe on the v6.. 7psi to be really sure if you cant trust yourself driving it.

It's how you drive it, if you go redlight to redlight WOT'in... you'll rip the thing apart quickly like any motor... If you use it more for fun every now and then the motor can last a long time. Don't beat the crap out of it and it'll last a long time, I'd good with the 9psi... where do you live that your asking about Evolution Performance. I'm not far from there and have a shop that I trust dearly and have talked about it with. They have done others before and really enjoy stangs.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:59 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I am near Allentown....

So... you are saying you can do a 9 psi withOUT an intercooler? How much does this cost compared to intercooled. I think I saw intercooled was about $3800....
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==1. Can you run them without an intercooler? How much power do you lose with say, a 9 psi boost? ==

Yes. Not having an intercooler is not an issue of limiting power at a given boost level, but it does limit how much boost you can run. The enemy is detonation when you're dealing with power adders, the more boost you run the higher the chance of detonation and detonation can quickly lead to piston/ valvetrain damage. Power adders increase compression, but they also increase the temperature of the a/f/ mix in the process. The higher temperature is what can lead to detonation. When you run an intercooler, the compressed and heated mix runs through it and is cooled, this allows you in turn to run higher boost levels with less chance of detonation.

==2. What is the general understanding with a super charger on a V6... can the V6 take the stress in the long run? Or is it pretty much understood that after 20,000 mile of supercharging, you can expect major engine trouble/rebuild. Is there a mode you can run a supercharger in (i.e. low 7 psi boost) that will give you a good possibility of 50,000 miles of life.==

If you run moderate boost levels, keep the maintenance up and don't constantly flog it like a maniac, the motor should last just as long as a normally aspirated version.

==I am sort of assuming from my reading here that ProCharger is the way to go????? ==

Procharger, Vortech, X-Charger and the PH turbo are all looking like good choices right now. The X-C and PH turbo are not out yet, so there's limited data available on them.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Tres... thanks for extensive reply.

So, to sum up, you can probably get away with 7PSI boost with intercooling? And how much power will 7psi add to a Stang running high test gas, and doesn't premium gas help keep detonation from occuring??

How do you feel about a turbo vs. a supercharger? The ProCharger seems like a real straight forward design.... what makes a turbo better or worse.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I'm no expert on the Procharger, but I think 7 psi is as high as they recommend without an intercooler. I think their kits go up to 9 psi with an intercooler. Flapjack I believe is running a 12 psi pulley on his to compensate for his higher altitude though, there are always exceptions The Procharger setups seem to flirt with (or surpass) 300 rwhp. Premium gas is a must with a power adder.

My personal opinion on the turbo kit is the exhaust plumbing is too complicated for the average shadetree mechanic. Plus if you plan on keeping your car for 100k+ miles, at some point you may have to replace the plumbing just like you would your exhaust system. That said, I do have a turbocharged motorcycle and wouldn't give it up for anything