Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DISSAPPOINTED

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: DISSAPPOINTED

ORIGINAL: pastor_ice43

even though they should....v6 Stangs don't lead in the 6 cy HP department...IMO it should be the fastest V6 on the road. Anyhoo....just a list of cars that would win in a race....Mazda RX-8 (manual), Toyota Camrey, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Redline, Saturn ION Redline.....there are pleanty of others. Don't get me wrong, i love my car, but i will upgrade to a GT
We have a strong cast iron block, so in terms of the RX8, we are on a better platform for modding. Not sure about the Pontiacs or Saturns, but you have to look at more than just the base horse power. You have to look at how well they take to mods, power adders, tunability and market for performance parts.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

Yeah but im talking about straight off the line power. Some people like a finished project and don't want to have to mod to be fast. All the cars i mentioned are all faster that the v6 straight out of the box. Sure, if you put enough money and mods into you're car, it'll be a speed machine...but also, every car i listed would be smoked badly by a stock GT without any work at all done.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:16 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Yeah but im talking about straight off the line power. Some people like a finished project and don't want to have to mod to be fast. All the cars i mentioned are all faster that the v6 straight out of the box. Sure, if you put enough money and mods into you're car, it'll be a speed machine...but also, every car i listed would be smoked badly by a stock GT without any work at all done.
Hmm, ok, well the RX8 is on my kill list, and one of the cars I target at the track. Stock, I have seen this car run on average between 15.5 to 15.1 at the track. On the net, I have seen a stock one rip off 14.6, but never saw a slip for those. I think Car&Driver rated it at 14.7. So yea, it is faster, but that is for a exceptional driver. I've seen V6's with semi-decent drivers match those 15 times with no mods. So on the Rx8 I think it is a drivers race.

The solstice runs 15.3 to 15.5, in our stock class as well. The GTP is a flat 15 second car, so I'll give you that. Though I think the car hit every branch comming down the ugly three.

The Camry runs 15.05, but who on this forum is interested in a plain looking sedan?!?!?!?

Now, the Saturn Skyline, that is a cool car. I actually like it and stock, it runs a 13.9. Guess what, that is what I have seen GT's with light mods run at the track. I think this car is more even with a stock GT than you think, and would be a good race to watch at the track. In fact, I saw it at a car show and am considering getting one as my weekend vert since my stang isn't a vert. I really dig this car.

As for the ION redline, it's supercharged! Our cars supercharged would eat it alive.

But, in all fairness, you are right. For the non-modder, some of these are better options. But um, who on this forum is not into modding? 1% at most I would imagine. I mean, a few simple bolt ons and we are well into the 14's.

Not trying to make waves, just having a friendly debate and I think we are not comparing apples to apples on all of these cars.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:31 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Opps, forgot to include this:

The 2004 Saturn ION Redline runs a 15.3, I think the 2006 runs a 14.6, but havent been able to find any slips posted on it. And the ION 2 and ION 3 we would eat for breakfast.

EDIT: Ok, I do see why you brought the ION redline into play, it's 21K well equiped and is in our price range. So yea, its a solid performer if you don't plan to mod.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

isnt it fwd tho?? if it is, whats the fun in that??? i owned a gtp (2000) and had light engine mods.. 3.3 pulley, cai and ractive exhaust, i would still have that car IF it was rwd and stick shift... fwd SUCKS HARD CORE *** imho
Old 05-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

I have an idea, why dont you go trade in for a pontiac since you dislike your new Mustang so much. Then the people who like Mustangs wont have to listen to you cry. [sm=boosign.gif]

ORIGINAL: chadlet

Just wanted to let you all know how dissappointed I am in my stock 2006 mustang, 4.0 V6 auto. I know that street racing is bad and shouldnt be done but it wasnt much a race anyway. Last night at 3:00 a.m after working over 4 hours i was totally embarresed [] by a stock 2003 GRAND AM GT. I know it has ram air and all but come on a grand am. I wasnt even trying to race. I work with the guy so at the stop sign after he left i got on it thinking i would just pass him, ha i thought wrong, after get about half way arouond i look in my passenger mirror and notice he is still there and then he continues to leave me by three car lengths all why my car is floored from the stop sign. WTF gives, I never thought i would be paying extra for car insurance just for the looks of a car and not the performance, but in my mind my car is a lead slead. SLUG POS[:@][:@]
Old 05-14-2006, 12:16 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Moonbaby1973

I have an idea, why dont you go trade in for a pontiac since you dislike your new Mustang so much. Then the people who like Mustangs wont have to listen to you cry. [sm=boosign.gif]
I like the way you think... LOL
Old 05-14-2006, 12:26 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

To chadlte, Stop crying ever think it is your driving? or maybe like it was pointed out before he had mods on his grandam. Anyway if you bought a V6 for racing we should all be dissappointed for you!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:15 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

Something will always be faster...you get a GT, there are still alot of cars that will be as fast or faster stock, and quite a few, everyday daily driving cars. You say this car is slow...16 sec carts would say it's fast. It's all perception...
Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

even though they should....v6 Stangs don't lead in the 6 cy HP department...IMO it should be the fastest V6 on the road. Anyhoo....just a list of cars that would win in a race....Mazda RX-8 (manual), Toyota Camrey, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Redline, Saturn ION Redline.....there are pleanty of others. Don't get me wrong, i love my car, but i will upgrade to a GT
raced and won....

rx8 manual... check (3 times in 1 night at the track).
Grand prix GTP... check, white one, and 2 black ones. (the white one was a bit older but not stock).
solstice GXP.... never heard of it, but i can take it lol.
Saturn sky redline... is this even out yet? the sky is JUST NOW hittin the streets.
ION redline... done and done and done over again.

add these to the list.
Cobalt SS
SRT4 (my friend thought his blowoff valve he installed would be enough to take me at the track).
a WRX that bogged it (still a win)

and those are just the cars that "shoulda" won. I get a lot of "damn what did you do to that thing" after some races. Even with just a K&N intake and canned 91 octane tune i ran a 14.73 @ 1200 ft (high 14.5's at sealevel). So including the cost of my car, and the tuner (370) and intake (208) i was faster than just bout all the cars in our class.

Quick Reply: DISSAPPOINTED