Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why get a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:03 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why get a tuner?

Thanks bro for clearing that up...I am saving my pennies for the SCT!
ORIGINAL: Puerto Rico 4.6

The predator are not better Rican ..i have seen several people change from Predators to SCT with great results, but i have never ..ever know , heard or seen of an SCT XCAL 2 car that changes to Predator...it will never happen ...95 percent of the people here have SCT s only the misinformed and the guys that just did not know any better got the Predator in my opinion . One is head and shoulder above the other. Good Luck
Old 05-19-2006, 04:06 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Lisa,

you don't have to....

A dyno would give you a more "personal" tune.... meaning especific to your car.... our ponys are very closed configured but there are differences that a Dyno with your pony can utilize to hone in a good tune. Tuners tunes are general tunes for same type of vehicles (is not as granular).

I wouldn't worry too much there isn't any Dyno shops in our area.... the ones I have seen are for imports, and I would not trust a tech with inport only experience to tune my pony....

Hope it helps,

Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tino

Lisa,

you don't have to....

A dyno would give you a more "personal" tune.... meaning especific to your car.... our ponys are very closed configured but there are differences that a Dyno with your pony can utilize to hone in a good tune. Tuners tunes are general tunes for same type of vehicles (is not as granular).

I wouldn't worry too much there isn't any Dyno shops in our area.... the ones I have seen are for imports, and I would not trust a tech with inport only experience to tune my pony....

Hope it helps,

thanks - basically the dyno tweaks the tune that you set.

i have been reading all these posts about tunes, CAI, etc. etc. etc. and it confuses me. like i said, husband put a tuner on his truck and he didn't have to do anything. his gives you quarter mile time, transmission fluid temp, etc.

thanks tino...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Are they difficult to use if you really just buy one for the first time? Or are they user friendly?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:10 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

One of my questions is if you buy the SCT by itself & another CAI (such as S&B or Airaid) can that be tuned and if so how much do tunes usually cost?...(keep in mind without going to a dyno!)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:40 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

My honest opinion Dyno tunes are worthless unless its a track car. You want real world driving tunes. Which you can get by owning the programer yourself. You just drive around and let it datalog the real world daily driving and then send the log to your tuner who can tune the car for daily driving, not just some pulls up to the rev limit on a dyno. Also the SCT is not married to the car once bought. You can have the Eng code wiped from the tuner should you decide to sell it or if you get a new car. You just have to remember to return the stock tune to your original car before doing this.

EDIT: If you want all the facts on the SCT contact Doug at Bamachips or Lidio at AlternativeAuto. These guys are the SCT tuning gods around mustang forums.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 PM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puerto Rico 4.6

The predator are not better Rican ..i have seen several people change from Predators to SCT with great results, but i have never ..ever know , heard or seen of an SCT XCAL 2 car that changes to Predator...it will never happen ...95 percent of the people here have SCT s only the misinformed and the guys that just did not know any better got the Predator in my opinion . One is head and shoulder above the other. Good Luck

I got them both, as far as capabilities I dont see any differences, the adjustable parameters seem to be the same. the predator is more user friendly for me when hooking up to my pc,and I have had better luck with their software, It also came with an actual user manual If I did have to make a choice with one only it would be the predator
Old 05-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]