Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new to mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
vtmikeyp

Default new to mods

hey guys, new to this forum... I bought a 2005 V6 Manual last summer and I'm getting an itch to put some mods on it. I don't know much about mods other than the few threads i've read and everyone seems to have differing opinions. My principal concerns adding performance and a meaner sound, money isn't a huge concern although I don't want to break the bank. So far I am thinking about getting:

1. magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust
2. cold air intake... not sure which one
3. some sort of tune

I know I will never get a V8 sound from my V6 but I love the look of the duals compared to getting just a single axel-back... I imagine the duals sound better as well, and I don't mind forkin up the extra coin. The question I have about duals though, will the V6 pump out enough air flow since it is originally designed for just the single? (I've heard yes and no answers on this and I certainly don't want to decrease performance) Or are extra mods (CAI, tune) needed in order to get the full performance benefit?

I've heard CAI's improve the sound of the engine as well as performance. I've also read that they work best when coupled with a tune (some systems even require the tune). How vital is the tune to the CAI's performance? Also which CAI's would you recommend?

The first 2 mods I am pretty sure I know how to install (or get installed) but I am a bit confused about the tuner. If you buy a tuner from a website, does that come pre-programmed with a tune and all you do is hook it up? Or is each tune programmed specifically for each individual car and you have to take it to a shop to get it done professionally? If so would you recommend buying the tuner from the shop? Either way any recommendations on where to get a good tune? Also I've heard the tune is primarily for automatics... is it worth getting for a manual?

I've heard these three mods together can produce about 25 extra HP... is that a fair estimate?

Sorry for the long post guys... but thanks for your help and suggestions!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: new to mods

Congrats on the New Stang Purchase you will love it! The Magnaflow dual exhaust is a great mod but I would wait and get the one with the X-pipe crossover, and you also might want to consider the JBA True Dual exhaust kit with H-pipe, and For an intake and tune you might want to go with A C&L Intake and X-calibrator 2 tune from Doug at bamachips since you have a manual everyone seems to be very happy with his service!

Heres the links.

BAMACHIPS Website I would call and order rather than ordering online.

http://bamachips.com/store/index.php...products_id=20

Magnaflow Dual Exhaust kit with X-Pipe

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...erican&id=1243

JBA Dual Exhaust kit with H-Pipe, its all the way at the bottom.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangnew.asp
Old 06-07-2006, 06:21 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1189925/tm.htm

Here's a good link on CAI's. Majority opinion on this is that the CAI adds more are and screw with the air/fuel ratio so the best way to fix that is to get the tune. Most popular model I've seen on the forums is the C & L w/ a tuner combo from Bamachips, Evolution, and I think the other provider may be Brenspeed.

Happy modding.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 AM
vtmikeyp

Thanks for the links and suggestions! appreciate the quick responses...

The Magnaflow dual exhaust is a great mod but I would wait and get the one with the X-pipe crossover, and you also might want to consider the JBA True Dual exhaust kit with H-pipe
Can you explain to me the difference between the x-pipe and the h-pipe? and also the difference between true duals as opposed to regular cat-back duals which i mentioned?

on the CAI/tuner... so it sounds like there are no adjustments to the tuner that i would have to make manually correct?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

i left my stock single and had a muffler shop fabricate an x pipe and run another pipe for duals after installing my gt rear bumper... gt take off mufflers too, and WOW what a difference, it defentaly made it more peppy and sound much nicer, it dusnt "bog" anymore when o got to take off, cant wait to get a tune and cai! but i got to get other stuff first like tires and GAS lol

Paul
Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Good choice on the magnaflows...I have heard clips of everything so it was a very VERY hard choice to make. Finally went with the magnaflows and I am very very happy as I am sure you will be too.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
vtmikeyp

JBA Dual Exhaust kit with H-Pipe, its all the way at the bottom.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangnew.asp
i went there but i couldnt find any online retailers for a price comparison with the magnaflows... also when you guys mention "true duals" what is the difference between that and this:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=947

i'm not quite up on the x-pipe, y-pipe, h-pipe, true language being tossed around... thanks!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
skm52670
1st Gear Member

True duals - two seperate pipes (one for each header) running to two mufflers.

X-pipe is a crossover that connects the true dual pipes and is installed for Performance mainly and sound second

H-pipe is a crossover that connects the true dual pipes and is installed for Sound more than performance.

Y-pipe is what is stock on the V6s... two pipes from headers that "Y" together to one pipe to the one muffler.

NOT true duals - come from headers and "Y" into a single pipe then "Y" into two pipes (one for each muffler)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve