Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?

why are all these import V6 cars pulling more horses than our 4.0L stangs?.....most of these imports are 3.5L engines (Maxima, Altima, Accord. etc.) and ours holds a 4.0L. i thought the bigger engine had more power potential? what are those japanese doing to make there cars pull over 260hp with stock engines? anyone have any explanations?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:49 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

why are all these import V6 cars pulling more horses than our 4.0L stangs?.....most of these imports are 3.5L engines (Maxima, Altima, Accord. etc.) and ours holds a 4.0L. i thought the bigger engine had more power potential? what are those japanese doing to make there cars pull over 260hp with stock engines? anyone have any explanations?
How much TQ do they make? TQ wins races, HP sells cars.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:00 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

dont forget 91 octane to 87 octane. With a simple retune ours will get 10+hp and 10+tq (and we already have almost as much torque, for almost 10 thousand less). They have a higher compression ratio too
Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 AM
ranebowcyxx
BadAss 13-sec N/A 4.0L

Rygen's right, I mean based on HP numbers, we shouldn;t be able to beat a supercharged Bonneville SSE, but we can.

It's called "power under the curve", if you were to look at dyno graphs of the nissan motors and then the 4.0, you would see a completely different power curve.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:13 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

Also our Big brother has about 300 horses(4.6 engine) If Ford made the 4.0's w/ 265(thinking of Eclipse 3.6 engine) They wouldn't sell as many GT's, so it's also a marketing decision. And how much more do those cars cost?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:18 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

We've been down this road many times...they make more chp because they are highly tuned, while the Mustang 4.0 was de-tuned, for obvious marketing reasons. That's why you can drag more power for much less $$ out of the Stang 4.0 then you can from the import engines.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I've heard with bolt-ons on most of the import engines, 350z comes to mind, you actually lose hp! They're pretty much as high as you can go N/A.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:08 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

under many different circumstances stock engines put our defferent horsepower, as people have sed they couldnt put o much behind the back model as the gt wouldnt sell as well, whereass the maxima 3.5 is the top model and has all the horses it can have (almost) stock. if u were gonna buy a car based on numbers hp there would be sooooo many honda accords out there it wouldnt be funny, but as rygen sed, Torque wins races and hp sells cars, luckily alot of people have wised up and bought torquy engines (like the four oh) instead of over rated honda engines with no torque!

Paul
Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Are cars are actually pretty good once you get to modding them. I got a little DOHC Civic hatch back the other day. He was all motor like me and he was right on my butt but I kept getting better take offs ( that tlok does wonders) but other than that his car was pretty quick. I pulled up next to him and told him but he seem puzzled like he had beat other V6's before LOL Told him I got a procharger coming in and he said nothing.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

Are cars are actually pretty good once you get to modding them. I got a little DOHC Civic hatch back the other day. He was all motor like me and he was right on my butt but I kept getting better take offs ( that tlok does wonders) but other than that his car was pretty quick. I pulled up next to him and told him but he seem puzzled like he had beat other V6's before LOL Told him I got a procharger coming in and he said nothing.
wow i cant wait to see your dyno and track numbers! its going to be SWEET[&:]

Quick Reply: Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?