Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cleaning Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

Default Cleaning Seat Covers

So I still have my factory cloth seat covers, but after seeing the thread with someone doing the black leather with the light tan interior, I am going with black leather later down the road. Since I can't find any light tan leather takeoffs.

Anyway, for the time being... I cart people around in my car, very often. As a result, my seats are not the cleanest, neither is the carpet, but thank god for floor mats.

Would it be safe to take the seat covers off and toss them in the washer on a gentle/moderate cycle? I'd let them air dry because I obviously don't want them shrinking. I have no idea how they come off, I have tried, but didnt take too long to give up. I understand they are not the easiest thing to put on, but it's much less expensive than having the interior of my car detailed.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning Seat Covers

I have the same color fabric interior and the best thing that I've found is an Oxyclean spray found at the grocery store. Per directions I use a clean white terry towel to apply the Oxyclean and rinse with another white terry towel that is fairly wet.

Coincidentally I have been looking into leather upgrade replacement seat covers and so far this is the best kit that I've seen for a retro-style look. They are available in Pony and '69-'70 Mach 1 styles and can be two toned, three toned (mach 1), and use different fabrics in the same cover. You can have some door panel inserts made in matching or contrasting colors too. Check 'em out!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:34 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

That was me lol

To wash the rear covers would be no problem at all, they come off in minutes.
The front covers however require you to remove the seat out of the car, and then unbolt
the plastic peice and remove clips. The upper portion of the front seat has hog rings you will
need to break so that takes a little time too.

Any more questions feel free to ask!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
The Toltek

ORIGINAL: ST4NG

So I still have my factory cloth seat covers, but after seeing the thread with someone doing the black leather with the light tan interior, I am going with black leather later down the road. Since I can't find any light tan leather takeoffs.

Anyway, for the time being... I cart people around in my car, very often. As a result, my seats are not the cleanest, neither is the carpet, but thank god for floor mats.

Would it be safe to take the seat covers off and toss them in the washer on a gentle/moderate cycle? I'd let them air dry because I obviously don't want them shrinking. I have no idea how they come off, I have tried, but didnt take too long to give up. I understand they are not the easiest thing to put on, but it's much less expensive than having the interior of my car detailed.
Personally, i would call a place like Stanely Steamer or some other truck-mounted carpet/upholstery cleaning place. Oxyclean works wonders but i would prefer to actually have the soil sucked out. If they do it properly it'll only take like maybe an hour to dry (pending on how dirty it is, ie. how many passes they have to do w/ their cleaning tool.) Another bonus about doing that way too is that they'll come to your work and if you request an AM appointment then it'll be good to go by lunchtime.
Just a thought... it may not be the cheapest though.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

The problem I have found with using cleaners is that I still get spots from the cleaner behind. Its rather annoying.

I tried oxyclean and the white residue left behind was a pain, then I purchased from car fabric cleaner from autozone and it leaves little dark spots. (Just like making the fabric darker, there removable with the oxyclean but then I have the white residue problem.)

I guess I am just going to have to put them in the washer and see what happens. I'll be running it on a moderate cycle and allow the covers to air dry. If it screws them up then it will just be more incentive for me to get the black leather covers.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 AM
The Toltek

Yeah.. that's why i generally don't clean carpet or upholstery as a whole... because the residue that you leave behind actually attracts more dirt. If you're using a cleaner that works up a lather in any way... don't use it. So say if you were to have a spot the size of a dime... you would have to scrub/clean the size of a quarter. then when the spot comes back... it's the size of a quarter and so on.
I actually used to be in the carpet/upholstery business years ago holding seminars teaching company employees method standards in relationship w/ the IICRC. pretty weird i know.
If you do decide to throw them in the dryer... use VERY light detergent or light oxyclean.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:26 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Rinse a whole area for less spotting issues. Use a WET - not damp towel.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
STANGLVR
1st Gear Member

I would opt for the stanley steamer or equivalent let them dry real good and then get seat covers. What are you going to do if you cant get the originals back on?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: STANGLVR

I would opt for the stanley steamer or equivalent let them dry real good and then get seat covers. What are you going to do if you cant get the originals back on?
I guess that would up the priority of those leather seat covers i've been wanting then. Lol.