Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

??? Gas mileage after CAI & Tune ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default ??? Gas mileage after CAI & Tune ???

Hello all, this is my first post on mustangforums.

I'm a long-time Mustang fan and first-time owner. I bought my '05 4.0 a little over a month ago and I love it!!!

Among other things, I want to put on a CAI and get a custom tune. I know the CAI is supposed to increase my fuel economy a little, but my question is what effect will the performance tune have on gas mileage?? I'm getting about 20 mpg (give or take) right now.

I know, I know... we have Mustangs. Who cares about gas mileage? Well I drive about 45 miles each way to work everyday, so it's just something I'm curious about.

Also, my plans for these two mods were...

K&N Filtercharger (63-2566) http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-2566
SCT XCal 2 w/ tune from bamachips

I've seen a lot on this forum about C&L intakes and a few other brands. Can anyone give me some recommendations on a combo that might be better than what I was planning? Any feedback on BamaChips versus other custom tuning companies?

I've only been reading this forum for a few weeks and I'm already amazed by the amount of info that's here!

My last Ford was a Contour (lol) and I spent a lot of time on that forum, but mostly about how to fix (fill in the blank) once it fell off, shorted out, or (fill in the blank)

Thanks!!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ??? Gas mileage after CAI & Tune ???

welcome to the forums! First of all, if your going to get a cai/tuner combo you might as well get an intake that requires a tune. Id recomend the c&l/tuner combo either from alternativeauto.com or bamachips.com. Typically auto's go with alternativeauto and manuals go with bamachips, but either one will be a good choice. And gas mileage is supposed to go up with the new tune but me, with cai, tuner, exhaust, ect. am getting less mpg than i was when i first got the car. (about 17.6mpg currently). But if you can keep your foot away from the floor it should go up.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ??? Gas mileage after CAI & Tune ???

Sweet, thanks for the advice.

So what's the difference b/w the K&N intake and the C&L that would cause the K&N not to need a tune? Is the C&L bringing in that much more air?

I've been looking at prices for a CAI/tuner combo... BamaChips seems like they have some good package deals. I think I'll write them an email to ask a few ?'s

Also, the first mod I want to do is exhaust. I think I'm just going to go for an axle-back swap. I don't really want to get a GT rear bumper, get it painted, and then get racing stripes put on to match what I already have. Plus I kinda like the single exhaust look. But the stock system needs serious improvement. So I was looking at getting a Flo-Pro Twister race muffler. Does anybody have one of those on their 4.0???