Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to wire gauges to dashboard (pic tutorial)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default How to wire gauges to dashboard (pic tutorial)

HOW TO RUN WIRING TO GAUGES IN THE DASHBOARDB

*** This tutorial is intended as a guide, I am no expert in the matter and take no responsibility if you damage your vehicle by following this guide ************

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way……….

Gauges usually require three connections;

---Lighting connection (bulb).
---Switched 12volt connection.
---Connection to the sender unit.

In this guide we will examine the first 2 connections.

This is a dry fit but you get the idea of the final product.

First we need to run the wiring from the dash are down thru the back of the glove box. The end connections on my wires are pretty big, so I snapped two plastic pieces out of the defroster vent (the pod will cover this nicely later)

Here you see all of the wires threaded thru and viewed from outside.

To accomplish the threading of the wires we need to open the glove compartment and while pushing inwards on both sides of the Glove compartment push down, the two rubber stoppers will slide clear of the glove comp frame and open wide to uncover the under dash…..

This is a look up and inside the under dash….see the rust on the bar and lower left corner…. Arrggg!!!

Those are the wires going up towards the dash (purple, red, white…) there is a gap in between the defroster conduit and the bottom of the dash…. That is your target the get the wires thru. (See second picture to locate exit point).

I put all of the wires except the switched 12Volt hot leads into a wire conduit and threaded it to the left under the front console see next series of pictures….

To the left driver side…….

If you want the lights in the gauges to dim when dimming the interior….

I have not connected the hot 12 Volt switched connections yet (waiting on install of UEGO sensor sender and Fuel Pressure senders but bellow is all the preliminary work

And finally to connect these just pop open the passengers fuse box (see picture below)
And attach the hot to space 13 in the fuse box, and the ground wire to the frame.

Well as mentioned earlier, I have to get some work done in the installation od the senders, EUGO requieres a cut and weld of the old exhaust to place the wideband sensor, and the fuel pressure gauge requieres some extra work as well, I'll post the install of those as well........

Hope it helps someone!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:50 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How to wire gauges to dashboard (pic tutorial)

ok cool.. see the nexus series are different then others because i plug it into a kinda network adaport type thingy... so when you mouint the center poh.. run thru vent and you can pull the wires out by dropping the glove box. then run it behind the radio.. Now how did you hide all the wires coming across?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Tino, can u take more pics of ur hurst shifter please???? im feeling horny and need material! seriously i love the look of the hurst, please can i have sum pics?

Paul
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Shadowhax
2nd Gear Member

Good tutorial writeup, i should get my guage cluster this week, maybe next if fedex is slow about it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:50 AM
tino
I ♥ Acer

I am back!!! ..long weekend..

The wires are wiretied under the dash.... across above the pedals wiretied to another conduit already there.... nothing in visible.....

Paul.... I'll take some pics of the hurst Tomorrow... LOL (please do not share whatever you do with them.....LOL)

For those of you planning on installing the center console.... Keep in mind to measure the length of your gauges wires....

for example my F/P connector to the sender is too short after the routing.....It is OK because I am planning on installing the sender remotely.... the rest of Gauges are ok as far as lenght.....

Man I can wait to have the sensor installed for the EUGO not only does the gauge look awsome... but I am very curious to see how lean I am running.....

Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Blackmustangjohn

How do you attach a wire to a point (space #13) on the fuse box? Do you insert the hot wire at some access point?

I have previously taped directly off the Positive Terminal of the battery, but that is too many amps for some of my projects. The latest is a 15 inch scanner that will eventually live inside a 18 inch wide hood scoop, ala KITT.