Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Mustang Plenty Loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 Mustang Plenty Loud

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

wow a 10HP gain just from a muffler?? I think Ill look into the MRT. My stock muffler dos have some "burned" marks on it though so I might looked into replacing it. I just see all these other V6 cars with duals so i was wondering about those. I also though about the "single duals" sorry dont know how to desribe them . I mean these: http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/...exhaust_02.jpg
Never seen those on any mustang ......
here's my MRT write up including, pics, videos and dyno sheets: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng.htm#muffler

thing to remember... the MRT outpeformed the Magnaflow by like 7RWHP at peak... so we're talking a lot more the 10RWHP gain over the stock muffler! (The Magnaflow was good for 8 to 10 RWHP)...

Old 07-02-2006, 01:08 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

ur saying a single mrt gives better gains that duals??? or did u mean that duals only give u 2rwhp MOre than the single mrt?
because i noticed a difference straight away, just reving the car it revs much easier and dusnt bog much at now. it used to be a dog

Paul
Old 07-02-2006, 02:50 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paulboy16

ur saying a single mrt gives better gains that duals??? or did u mean that duals only give u 2rwhp MOre than the single mrt?
because i noticed a difference straight away, just reving the car it revs much easier and dusnt bog much at now. it used to be a dog

Paul
He means the latter, a dual setup will only give a few hp gain over a single axleback of the same type. So no, dual say Magnaflows won't give as much as a single MRT, which won't give as much as dual MRT's.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jericho73

Paul
He means the latter, a dual setup will only give a few hp gain over a single axleback of the same type. So no, dual say Magnaflows won't give as much as a single MRT, which won't give as much as dual MRT's.
Yes a single exhaust on our stangs will provide more horsepower than duals. Duals will achieve around 2 rwhp, and 10rwhp with a single.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:02 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

ORIGINAL: jericho73

Paul
Yes a single exhaust on our stangs will provide more horsepower than duals. Duals will achieve around 2 rwhp, and 10rwhp with a single.
no.... getting rid of the stock y-pipe and replacing it with an x-pipe or h-pipe to put duals on will gain you an additional 1 or 2 RWHP... so if you got a 10RWHP gain with a single exhaust then you may end up with and 11 or 12 RWHP gain if you go to dual setup..
Old 07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

At what engine RPM are you seeing these gains? Is the average guy gonna see these gains? There seems to be a lot of ads that say the same. 10 HP or RWHP gain but they don't say if it is at 2300 RPMs or 6500 RPMs.

I will tell you this: There is crisper throttle response up to 2100 RPMs on the seat of the pants meter and the exhaust sound in stereo is really nice. Exhaust mods here will lay the groundwork to make better numbers when the induction is modded. Knowing that the the car does not have to be retuned with an exhaust mod tells me that not much in the way of gains are going to be had BUT you really need this mod before you do a turbo, nitrous, or other supercharger. Just like plug wires - on their own they won't give you any hp but they will help support high hp and make it reliable.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:10 PM
madmax420
1st Gear Member

My 2 cents on the factory single is that it restricts power and you have to rev it up to 4k rpm to hear it. I looked at alot of Axel backs. I decided on the MRT. WOW what a huge difference. It feels like its supercharged or something. And it sound real nice. Its loud but sounds so frikin sweet. Everyone who rode with me said it changed the car. I get tons of complitments on it. I even get better gas miles, so right there it will pay itself of quick. I would go MRT!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Your right... there is really no performance reason on our V6 to go to duals... Personally I will keep The Mistress a single exhuast... perhaps i'll having to put larger piping in some day... but she's a V6 so she will always be a single exhaust... Of course every one sees the single exhaust and thinks i'm an easy target... hehehehe..
+1

I would stick with the single. That way you won't have to cut your heart out when you cut the rear valance. I put my JBA single on last Monday, took it on an interstate trip of about 300 miles yesterday. It sounds sweeter every day as I break it in.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

I didnt cut my rear for duals I really didnt have a choice. I was going to cut it, but someone felt like keying/running the shopping cart along it (not sure which) so it just made sense to buy the gt bumper.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

I put my JBA single on last Monday, took it on an interstate trip of about 300 miles yesterday. It sounds sweeter every day as I break it in.
+1

Quick Reply: V6 Mustang Plenty Loud