Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S/C Install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:16 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: S/C Install question

well put
ORIGINAL: Jeremy

F*ckin A.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

<----will be doing turbo myself, as well as installing it on acstone7's car hopefully.

But ya, if u want simple go EE, but id **** my pants if i spent 4 grand for 60-80hp lol.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:58 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

How complex do you think the turbo install is going to be? It doesn't have to be simple, but at the same time I want to be realistic.
ORIGINAL: fazm

<----will be doing turbo myself, as well as installing it on acstone7's car hopefully.

But ya, if u want simple go EE, but id **** my pants if i spent 4 grand for 60-80hp lol.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:01 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

If you know what you are doing, id say in your garage with the right equipment... 10-14 hours, less if you had help. At my shop my goal is a sub 8 hour install on mine, then hopefully even quicker on the 2nd install.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:12 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Well I do know a couple of mechanics friends I can call on if I hit deep water. You know if there are any install instructions listed out there I could look through. The X-charger while an easy install, is not going to be the fastest. I don't have to be the fastest 6, but I would like to be Damn far up the list...and similar to what you said, I don't want to spend all that money for not as much gain. But I also notice you say with the right equipment...which has a slightly ominous tone to it LOL
Old 07-16-2006, 11:27 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I spoke to the guy who did the first PH turbo install at home, he has the V8 kit. He said its a 10 hour job, and he said best way to do it was to take your time. He spread the install out over a week, did 2 hours a day. He is no mechanic, but is handy with a wrench and said it wasn't that difficult. For SC's, based on what I read, complexity is via the following order (1 being the easiest, etc.):

1. Xcharger
2. Vortech
3. Procharger
4. Turbonator

The turbo should be easy for you, cause you are single exhaust, so no issues splitting out to duals.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Oh man...I think I'm getting a turbo...I just feel it...I was looking at their site earlier (for the first time no less) and it looks like a sweet set up. The main thing that detered me originally was the cost + install cost. But if I did it in my garage, and do like you say that guy did...take my time, spread it out. Then I just have parts cost. I think I'd want to see some install instructions or something...anything before I decided on it for sure though.

Any idea when the mail order release will be? There site lists at as still just being for install by them.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazen351

Oh man...I think I'm getting a turbo...I just feel it...I was looking at their site earlier (for the first time no less) and it looks like a sweet set up. The main thing that detered me originally was the cost + install cost. But if I did it in my garage, and do like you say that guy did...take my time, spread it out. Then I just have parts cost. I think I'd want to see some install instructions or something...anything before I decided on it for sure though.

Any idea when the mail order release will be? There site lists at as still just being for install by them.
Not sure, I know the GT kits just started shipping, so my guess is they will focus on the V6 kit again. I would call them, ask for Steve or Mike, they can answer your questions.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Ok thanks man. I'll be doing that. The more and more I think about it, the less worried I am about the install. Worst case scenario I've got a mechanic friend that I always fix his computers for him so I should be able to definatley get help from him.

LOL is it sad that I'm excited just THINKING about MAYBE getting this Turbo??
Old 07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

You guys are killing me! I have been planning the ZEX kit now for about a month, doing all my research: prices, installation notes, availablity, ETC. Now all this talk of a turbonator is making me want to go ahead and drop the big bucks and get one. I should be able to beat rygen's 13's with a turbonator, I hope the install is not too hard.

Quick Reply: S/C Install question